Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Medised - what would you do?

(21 Posts)
FlameTree Wed 01-Dec-10 14:59:16

Hello mums and dads,

I haven't slept in days...or is it weeks?

I have a 7 month old DS and two DDs aged 5 and 3.

My DS has been teething since he was 2 months old and to date only has two teeth. I'm hoping that a few more are on their way as he hasn't been sleeping and actually crying with what I assume is pain throughout the night.

We co-sleep (which isn't really the issue as I coslept with my DDs) and I am absolutely shattered. Have been sleep deprived before but having 3 children and being exhausted is a whole new ball game.

After that long and probably unnecessary ramble my question is simple. Who out there uses or has used Medised? A friend of mine gave me a bottle and told me to use it only as a last resort - which I believe we have come to. I'm originally from Australia and I don't think we have it over there as I've not heard of it, but have heard reports that it is unsafe on the internet.

Under what circumstances can it be given? How much? How often? Would you or why wouldn't you? Ok, maybe my question isn't so simple.

My daughters were only treated with 'alternative' treatments which takes a lot more patience, time (and money!) but I'm really struggling and need a fast solution just so DS and I can get some sleep. I don't want to hurt him though (obviously). My knowledge and experience of over the counter medications is limited I'm afraid.

Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.

Apologies for the overly long moan

Bucharest Wed 01-Dec-10 15:01:17

After they are 6yrs old it can be used the same as calpol etc. I have heard rumour that as it contains an antihistamine it makes them sleep.

Hmm. Not mine it doesn't. grin

AFingerofFudge Wed 01-Dec-10 15:06:41

Hiya
When my DS1 was born over 11 years ago, medised was seen as a bit of a "cure all" and was handed out at the chemist a lot easier than it is now. I only used it if he had a heavy cold and needed unblocking to be able to sleep, but it was fantastic.
By the time DS2 came along(he is now 8) I was told by the chemist that it was only recommended for 2 years plus.

I now have an almost 2 year old, and I was astonished when I went to the chemist a few months ago that it is now only advised for 6 plus!!!!!

Apparently, according to the lady in the chemist, this is due to so many parents using it as a sedative for their babies. Whether or not this is true I'm not sure, as (if I wanted to) I could buy it under the pretence of it being for an older child and give it to the baby.

Sort of off the point - I was advised last summer by the GP to give some medised to my DS2 when he had night terrors, to help him get from that light sleep to the deep sleep easier. We used it nightly for 2 weeks and it worked.

FlameTree Wed 01-Dec-10 15:17:19

I suppose the company making and distributing Medised are simply covering themselves legally.

I'm certain the pharmacists are aware that parents buy for children younger than 6. Hugely cynical but hardly surprising that the Medised crowd want only to protect themselves from litigation.

So I guess what you're saying is that the advice is yet another example of banning everyone due to the irresponsibility of a few.

Thank you though - helps to understand the reasons behind the advice

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 01-Dec-10 15:38:28

Well I didn't know any of this. DS, now 7, had Medised a few times when he was under 2, from memory the kind of bug/whatever that meant noone was getting any sleep. It helped him sleep, but I only used it a few times as it felt like cheating. Ridiculous, I know.

I'm not massively keen on any meds tbh, but use Calpol occasionally to keep temp down etc.

I think if you use it responsibly its fine.

bubbleymummy Wed 01-Dec-10 16:53:07

Are you actually asking if it is ok to drug your child to help them sleep? hmm IMHO, no it isn't. Also, iirc those types of medication can have the opposite effect on some children and make them totally hyper. I can understand that you are very tired with a 7 month old and 2 young children but I would try to take a nap with the youngest during the day (can the other two go to a friend's/relative's) or just have a couple of very early nights to help you catch up on some sleep. If you are interested in natural alternatives, chamomile tea is good for teething and will also relax him before bedtime.

Pandsbear Wed 01-Dec-10 17:06:22

Re the adverse reaction in some children,my DD1 was one of them. Instead of helping her sleep (think it was for that, I can't remember now) it made her completely distresed and as if she was hallucinating. Very upsetting as she was only about 18 months then. Never used it again on either of my children.

sailorsgal Wed 01-Dec-10 17:08:49

In 2006 you could give it to children from 3 months then it changed to not under 2's and now to 6. I only used it for a couple of nights when ds had a very bad cold.

I would stick to calpol/teething granules if I were you.

As someone as already it could have the opposite effect.

Sorry you are so tired it is hard I do sympathise.

Geepers Wed 01-Dec-10 17:12:59

You should try it. I took it at the maximum dose and it was awful, my legs were shaky and i felt like shit.

strawberrycake Wed 01-Dec-10 18:03:30

My GP advised to give it to my 6 month old a few days ago (I haven't). I was a tad surprised, she was very young too.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 01-Dec-10 18:08:19

We gave one 5ml spoon to 7 year old DS for the first time a couple of nights ago as he wasn't well. Ever again, it's in the bin. He couldn't sleep, said his mind was racing and he couldn't stop it and was quite distresses. We had to prop him up on cushions in the end which helped until it wore off.

thisisyesterday Wed 01-Dec-10 18:14:04

i've used it to make children go to sleep. what's so hmm about that

when they can't sleep because they're in pain i fail to see the problem with giving a medication that makes them drowsy and get a bit more sleep

i would have no hesitation in trying a half dose 2.5ml on a 7 month old either.

sfxmum Wed 01-Dec-10 18:14:56

I would not but quite a lot of people do but I tend to be extra cautious using any kind of medication anyway

but you sound like you need a break of some sort, maybe someone to take over and let you have a really good sleep

onimolap Wed 01-Dec-10 18:20:32

You don't have Medised in Australia because it's been completely withdrawn there (as there is some risk from the antihistamine, and no proven benefit)

It is still available here but with an age restriction. Have you tried paracetamol (without antihistamine) such as Calpol, or paedoatric neurophen?

FanjolinaJolie Wed 01-Dec-10 18:24:31

You'll have to lie to pharmacist to get it in the first place as they won't knowingly sell it if you tell them you'll be using it on a child under six.

The antihistamine component may have a slight sedative effect on your child but equally if can hype them up and send them doolally, but this may be more due to the colouring/flavouring of the product.

We have used it in the past when the DC's have had a cold and gave it at night in a hope to dry up the running nose and better sleep. I think it works well.

The dose would be the same as for Calpol as the paracetamol is the same strength.

I don't think Medised exists in Australia but I used to get Demazine in NZ and that truly knocks them out, it is a antihistamine+decongestant.

Worth a try but watch the dose.

Alternatively if it's just to take the edge off the teething pain perhaps try baby Nurofen which lasts longer than Calpol or Medised. Or bonjela (or has that been banned too??)

Seona1973 Wed 01-Dec-10 18:35:38

I only use medised when my lo's are bunged up and cant breathe at night as it helps clear their nose. I wouldnt use it on a 7 month old though. The issue with it was not so much people using it as a sedative but more for the side effects e.g. hallucinations and sleep distubances.

Better medicines for children?s coughs and colds

FlameTree Wed 01-Dec-10 20:00:02

Thank you so much for all the advice. Really balanced opinions which helps.

By no means am I suggesting I wish to drug my baby to sleep. I did state that he is teething and his waking at night seems to be because of this rather than him being a poor sleeper.

I just wasn't sure, being unfamiliar with Medised, whether it could be used as a pain relief in addition to being an aid to sleep when a child is sleeping badly due to a cold.

I have tried homeopathic remedies, being very familiar with them and they worked beautifully on my girls. Absolutely no effect on DS. Also tissue salts, calpol, but I didn't know there was a night time calpol. Ridiculous really. My 3rd child and so inexperienced!

I do have a wonderful support network, slow to start as I didn't know anyone when we moved here from Australia. The problem of course is that my support also have small children and their own lives. My pride does sometimes stop me for asking for help after I've already asked so many times before....my stubborness gets in the way...I've chosen to have 3 children and they are my responsibility. My DH's family are completely useless when it comes to childcare so I hate to ask. My friends are wonderful but I worry that if I ask for help they might think I'm taking advantage, especially when I can give so little help in return.

We mothers, regardless of how many children we have, are all in the same boat. Some struggle with one and others have 5 without batting an eyelid.

Medised is certainly not something I would use to 'sedate' my children. I hoped I made that clear in my OP. Finding a natural, safe solution is always a priority....but when you've tried everything, the days are a blur , you can't give your other children the attention they deserve or even do the shopping and you've had so many coffees you're shaking....

I probably should have also mentioned I have PND...being treated for it but heck it definitely puts another log on the fire.

Thanks again for all your thoughtful responses. I think we will try calpol night time. Shall send my DH out to get some when he gets home and fingers crossed

Seona1973 Wed 01-Dec-10 20:01:48

calpol night is just the same as medised and is not suitable for under 6's

Seona1973 Wed 01-Dec-10 20:08:25

list of products

Teaandchristmascakeplease Wed 01-Dec-10 20:13:20

I admit to only scanning the thread, so I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious blush

When mine woke from teething pain I would rub their gums with bonjela teething gel to numb them and then feed them until dopey. They'd then sleep again for 3 hrs until the teething gel wore off. Teetha homepathic sachets are very calming as well. If it was really bad I'd give calpol or calprofen.

Is he eating well in the day? How are his naps? As jigging the routine in the day can help. Tbh both my children were completely different and maybe your DS would sleep better in a cot then co sleeping now?

I used medised with my DD whenever she was really bunged up as it was available from 3 months when she was young. Then it changed to 2 years and now age 6. I found it very helpful when very very bunged and have used it once or twice with my son as I still have an old box with the dosages on. But Infant Olbas oil or a baby vapor rub are good for that too. I'd try some of the other suggestions on here first though.

USoRight Thu 02-Dec-10 13:35:32

Hi flame If DSs problems are with pain and teething you can give the maximum dose of calpol and the maximum dose of ibuprofen (nurofen) together before bed. It is perfectly safe as they are different types of medicines and dont interact.

Are you sure its pain? How is he in the daytime? Does calpol or nurofen work in the day? Often when there is more to distract babies through the day the teething is not such an issue.

Fully understand about not wanting to dope babies up, but you can only function so long on no sleep! If it is relatively new not sleeping and he has previously had good nights it probably is the pain. Sometimes though babies are just poor sleepers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now