Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Paracetemol doubles asthma risk...

(15 Posts)
KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 10:04:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 10:17:55

Seona1973 Wed 01-Dec-10 10:54:16

I am sure that news has been out before

from Sept 2008

HecateQueenOfWitches Wed 01-Dec-10 10:55:11

I thought it was aspirin that caused problems?

So what painkillers can we take then? <sigh>

HecateQueenOfWitches Wed 01-Dec-10 10:56:40

blush and having finally got link to open I see it's not painkiller causing attack in asthmatic person as I assumed, but painkiller causing person to become asthmatic.

sorry bout that.

Seona1973 Wed 01-Dec-10 10:59:13

there is still no causal link though and it is still advised to use paracetamol if it is required

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 11:23:35

dribbleface Wed 01-Dec-10 12:18:26

My Ds has asthma (from 8mths) had calpol a lot in 1st 15 mths of life. But he had many many infections, i can't help wondering that the children who need calpol at that age, are the ones who get the most infections, and this causes a weakness rather than the paracetamol in itself?

Who knows.

twoboots Wed 01-Dec-10 12:30:55

my understanding of the paracetemol thing is that lots of wee ones with "wheezy viral infections" get paracetemol to lower temp/reduce pain etc.

these wheezing/couging episodes proabably reflected asthma in the first place

bubbleymummy Wed 01-Dec-10 12:32:10

I think paracetemol is overused. People reach for it when their child shows the slightest hint of a temperature (or occasionally 'just in case') even if the child is showing no signs of discomfort. Fever is a good thing, it is helping the body to fight off the illness. There are a lot of myths out there surrounding fevers and I think if people were more informed they would be less inclined to worry and stop trying to bring them down unnecessarily. Perhaps increasing awareness of these 'fever myths' would decrease the number of times people use paracetemol for their children and we would then see a decrease in the asthma rates....

ClaireOB Wed 01-Dec-10 13:20:50

The Behind The Headlines team at NHS choices give a detailed analaysis of this research. As others have noted, the researchers found an association, not a causal link. Epidemiological studies often find associations, which on further investigation don't turn out to be causative. It could perhaps be that the conditions for which paracetamol is being given to these children are in fact early signs of asthma developing rather than the paracetamol actively causing asthma to develop. A case of "more research is needed", unfortunately.

dribbleface Wed 01-Dec-10 13:21:18

I agree bubbleymummy, but difficult to avoid if your DC is prone to very high temps (40 etc) or is in pain with ear infection.

Galena Wed 01-Dec-10 14:53:14

My understanding is the same as twoboots. That one study came to the conclusion that the young children who were more prone to asthma in the first place had more colds and upper respiratory infections in the first place leading to higher paracetamol consumption.

DD has a tendency towards wheezing (not asthmatic as such but possibly heading that way). She has also had a LARGE number of UR infections for which the advice from both Dr and hospital is to give Calpol. I would guess that family history and her birth 13 weeks early had more to do with her tendency to wheeze than a bit of Calpol. I wouldnt change how I've treated her, tbh.

bubbleymummy Wed 01-Dec-10 16:47:46

Well of course dribbleface, if they are in pain then they certainly need something to help. I disagree with the high temperature bit though - unless it is causing them discomfort then there is no need to bring it down with paracetemol. The NICE guidelines don't recommend giving paracetemol solely to bring down a fever in the absence of any other symptoms or distress. I guess my point is that paracetemol should be used for pain relief - not to suppress a fever. If this was the case, parents would be using it a lot less often.

dribbleface Wed 01-Dec-10 20:36:07

Thats interesting bubbleymummy, i guess its my first instinct to give calpol with high temp (although can't think of a time when he has had a very high temp and not been very distressed too). Agree perhaps more info would ease useage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now