Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Getting DS to take liquid antibiotic - any suggestions?

(5 Posts)
Susarella Wed 01-Dec-10 09:47:35

My 9 month old has a course of antibiotic for a chest infection. It's a liquid dose but so far all he has done is spit it out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get him to take it without it ending up all over me, his clothes and the carpet?! Short of holding my hand over his mouth till he swallows (which I do NOT want to do!) I'm at a loss!!

Any suggestions gratefully received!!

Thanks!!

mamaloco Wed 01-Dec-10 10:39:25

DD2, 10 months, spits the calpol the trick is to very slowly push the seringe then she swallow very tiny amounts, by very tiny amounts. It takes ages but it works. If you have a spoon for the antibiotic, measure with it then in the calpol (nurofen) dispenser.
If you already have a dispenser and this is not working, mix the amount of antibiotic with the same amount of apple puree any fruit puree but not too acidic, and spoon feed that (not ideal but then he does need is medicine).

Good luck

mamaloco Wed 01-Dec-10 10:40:29

or even, His, sorry for the typos

mumblechum Wed 01-Dec-10 10:41:05

I used to use a dispensing syringe to put it as far as possible into the mouth, then gently squeeze down the throat. You may need to then gently hold the dc's mouth closed so they can't spit it out.

Susarella Thu 02-Dec-10 21:07:08

Thanks for your suggestions - syringe wasn't a success - he just clamped his mouth shut when he saw it coming!! I've taken to mixing it with yoghurt during meals and this seems to be working so far....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: