Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has Reynauds-type symptoms and is really feeling the cold. Any tips for keeping her extremities warm?

(19 Posts)
nigglewiggle Mon 29-Nov-10 21:14:23

Her feet seem to be particularly sensitive, so much so that she howled all the way to drop DD1 off at school sad.

I had her in tights and thick socks and wellies, but she still seemed to be cold. I have ordered some fleece-lined boots, but I am wondering if there are any other things I can do.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 29-Nov-10 21:18:29

wellies aren't always that good at keeping feet warm. Walking shoes/boots (or possibly the fleece lined that you mention) will be more effective.

I don't have Raynauds but suffer from very cold feet. (have a hot water bottle all year round except July and August)

I find that if the layers are too tight then they don't help to keep me warm. If I let my feet get too cold (e.g. if I have just bare feet or socks on our hard floors at home) they start to be painfully cold.

Socks with a high proportion of cotton/wool/natural fibres are meant to be best.

I have just bought proper ski type gloves for the whole family, they are properly waterproof.

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 29-Nov-10 21:20:33

Some of the kids at dd's school have little hand warmers- apparently they are £1 each, and can be reused. Don't suppose they would be much use for her feet, but good for her hands?

nigglewiggle Mon 29-Nov-10 21:23:50

Thank you both. I am pulling her on a sledge (well that's the idea anyway) so warmers on top of her feet might be a good idea, if they will fit.

I wondered if wool or silk etc might be better fibres. Will get her togged up, if I can get her to the shops and if they have anything left!

onepieceoflollipop Mon 29-Nov-10 21:29:13

I find if my feet get too cold then it is no help putting layers on. I have to warm them up by removing socks etc and gently putting in a warm (not hot!) bath or sitting near a radiator to get them properly warm.

Mine are cold now and the room is 22. I have one pair of thickish cotton socks and a pair of sensible (hard soled) slippers.

Scootergrrrl Mon 29-Nov-10 21:31:44

How old is she? Would sitting her in a footmuff or something with a hot water bottle inside be an option?

nigglewiggle Mon 29-Nov-10 21:34:05

She is 2.5. She could sit in the foot muff on the sledge - I hadn't thought of that, and she has a hot water bottle - great idea thank you smile.

dikkertjedap Tue 30-Nov-10 00:12:34

Proper walking boots would be warmer, my dd loved the GEOX waterproof boots they are very comfy and warm also in snow/puddles. Also, thermal underwear and JoJoMamanBebe do thermal socks. Millets does balaclavas in small sizes to cover almost the whole face. Millets does also all in one snowsuits. Trespass also does some very warm jackets and trousers. Gloves is more difficult, JoJoMamanBebe does very nice warm ones but they fall very big, they were way too big for my dd ... Maybe also give her one of those drinking cups for when you are on the move (Millets half price with a normal purchase) with warm chocolate or something like that.

nigglewiggle Tue 30-Nov-10 09:55:52

Thank you dikkert lots of ideas there.

Tried the footmuff and hot water bottle idea and it seemed to work brilliantly on the way there. BUT, whe wailed all the way home, this time she said her head hurt. So a balaclava might be a good idea too!

snowboots Tue 30-Nov-10 09:59:09

Baked potatoes wrapped in tinfoil make good handwarmers.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 30-Nov-10 10:06:44

Reynauds is no joke.

DD was nearly hospitalised last winter because we couldn't regulate her body temp. She was covered from head to toe in different rashes (some itchy, some not, some infected and some not), chilblains in odd parts of the body (ears!!?????????) etc etc.

Wellies no good. Must have quality walking boots and quality walking socks. Good coat, hat, scarf and huge ski gloves.

DO NOT GO FROM ONE EXTREME OF TEMP TO ANOTHER - sorry for the capitals but this was fatal for DD last year. Temp in school was like Dubai while it was freezing outside.

Layers of leggings/tights under school trousers. T-shirts under school shirts.

Then strip it all off as soon as you go indoors.

It's a nightmare but I'm determind not to gget there again after last winter.

DD now at secondary school - school very understanding and have informed me they are aware of her medical notes and she can be excused from any activity which causes discomfort to her body temp including outdoor PE etc.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 30-Nov-10 10:11:18

niggle - I meant to add -

If it is Reynauds that she has, you will also have problems in hot weather. Be prepared for all kinds of strange reactions.

cedmonds Tue 30-Nov-10 10:21:16

MY mum has it and i am pretty sure when she goes skiing (every yearenvy she buys special pads that go in shoes to head them/ keep them warm. She also puts silk socks under ski socks and silk gloves under ski gloves. Last year she also got heated gloves that you plug in and they stay warm all day. But i don't know if they do them for little ones.

nigglewiggle Tue 30-Nov-10 10:45:28

Ooopsadaisy that sounds dreadful for your DD.

We have been told that she has poor circulation in her fingers and toes akin to Reynauds (she was in hospital when she was 12 months old with it) but it is not diagnosed as Reynauds as apparently young children don't get it confused. They said that she has "unusual perfusion" so her fingers and toes do go bright red in the warm and purple/black in the cold.

I think she has had chilblains on her toes recently which has made her reluctant to walk, hence why she has been on a sledge.

cedmonds I join in your envy regarding annual skiing holidays. They are a distant memory and I don't imagine we'll be booking one any time soon!

I think a trip to an outdoor-shop is in order and I'll get some jacket spuds in the oven grin.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 30-Nov-10 12:07:09

niggle - toes with chilblains are very painful. Poor love.

When I first read your post it didn't register with me how young your dd is.

My dd was diagnosed only last year in the prolonged cold snap, at age 10 and I queried why it had suddenly erupted so badly. I was told that younger children do not seem to suffer from Reynauds but GP couldn't say why.

If your DD gets any alarming symptoms do not hesitate to go to the GP and don't be fobbed off. I was lucky that my GP was so kind.

I felt so ridiculous bringing dd in every day for about a week with different rashes and lumps all over her. DD was understandably frightened and actually asked me if she had cancer which made me gag with tears and terror. I collapsed in a heap of tears at GPs and she reassured me that Reynauds is just the body crying out in panic because it can't cope with temp changes and extremes - just like I was crying out right there.

As your dd gets older, make sure nursery, schools, clubs, relatives, neighbours, friends etc are all aware of the symptoms in case it comes back. As I said before, my dd's school are brilliant.

I encourage my dd to be a tough little bird and to do all sorts of sports and spend loads of time outdoors but I am always on the lookout for signs of problems. Don't restrict her life, just learn to help her manage it.

Good luck.
XX

nigglewiggle Fri 03-Dec-10 22:10:23

Thank you all.

Despite the odds, I managed to order her some fleece-lined leather boots and some proper (lined) ski gloves.

They had their first outings today and seem to make a real difference. It was particularly cold here today so fingers crossed. smile

WilfShelf Fri 03-Dec-10 22:16:07

You can also get glove liners in thin fabric like silk and merino - try ski shops online. The more warm thin layers under the thick insultation layer, the better.

And insulated kids snow boots are much more available this year (after last year) - I can strongly recommend them. Most outdoor shops (like Blacks and Milletts stock them) and lots of online places.

peeringintothevoid Sat 04-Dec-10 12:55:31

I get numb white fingers and toes in the cold and I found a company who sell gloves, sock etc with silver thread in. Supposedly, the silver regulates the temperature. I was a bit hmm reading their website, as the claims don't seemed to be backed up by research, but the company is endorsed by the Chief Executive of the Raynaud's & Scleroderma Association, so I thought I'd give them a try. I got some gloves and socks, and I've been very impressed. The gloves are very thin, and good for wearing indoors or under ski gloves. The socks are thicker and incredibly warm, yet my feet don't seem to sweat, presumably due to the silver. Might be helpful for your DD as an extra layer.

Here's the site:
www.tdshealthcare.co.uk/index.php

CharlieBoo Sat 04-Dec-10 20:39:03

Wowsers, this thread is interesting. My dd is 18 months and suffers terribly in the cold. He hands and lips go blue/purple if she is outside in the cold for too long, it looks quite alarming. They then go bright bright pink/red when we get in the warm. Drs say she'll grow out of it. Last winter was worse if I'm honest.

On the school run I leave her with my mum as she's only round the corner from me but some great tips on this thread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: