Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Croup - when did your dc grow out of it?

(10 Posts)
Schulte Mon 29-Nov-10 15:32:55

DD2 is only 19 months old and has already had croup 3 times, each time requiring steroids. I am already bracing myself for another trip to A&E in the coming weeks. Those with children prone to croup... when did it start getting better and when did they grow out of it completely? Thanks!

4nomore Mon 29-Nov-10 15:47:34

Didn't grow out of it until school age (although he never had it badly enough to require steriods - I think if he'd been seen during his worst bout on Boxing Day, when he was two he may have done). I guess it did peak around this time (age 2), the next winter was better.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 29-Nov-10 15:50:24

Message withdrawn

Schulte Mon 29-Nov-10 16:06:00

Thanks. Hmmmm, at least another 2 winters to go then. I don't know, maybe I take her to A&E too quickly, but when it's noisy breathing on top of the barking cough, and doesn't get better with steam or fresh air, then I just get scared sad

Should I learn to sit it out?

She may well get asthma - she's got eczema and an egg allergy already and I have allergies too.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 29-Nov-10 16:09:19

Message withdrawn

Schulte Mon 29-Nov-10 16:14:48

Thanks Pixie. I find the very noisy breathing alone frightening enough... I wouldn't want to wait and see if she turns blue, to be honest!

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 29-Nov-10 16:24:30

Message withdrawn

Schulte Tue 30-Nov-10 13:46:11

I haven't. I stood at the open window with her for quite a while last time, and then sat in the steamy bathroom, but it didn't get the least bit better, worse if anything. So DH and I both decided that she needed to go to A&E. And he's usually much calmer, so if he thinks she needs to go then I know it must be quite bad.

We have some steroid suppositories at home - in Germany parents are told to just use them when their child gets croup - but somehow I am not keen on using them.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 30-Nov-10 17:08:51

DS grew out of it when he was 5 or 6, he had his last bout requiring a hospital visit in Year 1. Reading Pixie's list made me remember how I used to feel when it started.sad Gawd, I remember those chest/throat recessions.sad sad

I was told to count him breathing in a minute and when it got to a certain given number it was time to take him in. I honestly cannot remember what that magic number was now ( he is 11 )

He grew out of it completely, no legacy.

wb Tue 30-Nov-10 21:07:35

Ds1 had croup repeatedly b/w the ages of 2 and 3.5. Since then none at all touch wood. He is 5 now and has moved on to ear infections (more painful but less worrying to mummy).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now