Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My friend's little girl has typhoid

(15 Posts)
twofalls Sun 28-Nov-10 19:50:38

She is 18months and temporarily living in Delhi. She has been I'll for about a week and is now in hospital on fluids and iv anti-biotics. She has another dd and is 6 months pg. She is obviously deeply worried and finds dealing with the medical staff. Does anyone have experience of this illness?

RiojaLover75 Sun 28-Nov-10 19:53:03

None but OMG hope your friend is coping through this awful experience. Lets hope her DD comes through it.

twofalls Sun 28-Nov-10 19:56:21

Thanks. I am so worried about them.

NorthernLurker Sun 28-Nov-10 19:58:29

No experience but I think with typhoid a lot of the battle is getting nutrition and fluids in to the patient. In times past that was obviously very hard but now with modern drips and nutrition it's much easier. The antibiotics are obviously key.
Does your friend know a vaccination is available? If they are returning to India at any future point they should all be immunised - I don't think this bout will confer immunity but she could check with her GP. It's a bacterial infection - not a viral thing.

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Nov-10 20:03:35

with antibioltic she has a good chnace of surviving this disease.

Is there a reason she was not vaccinated?

twofalls Sun 28-Nov-10 20:04:17

Thanks nl, they are in Delhi now. That is part of the worry. She is finding dealing with the medical staff quite difficult I think - Language barrier and cultural differences. She was immunised so hopefully that might help a bit. Poor little thing.

twofalls Sun 28-Nov-10 20:07:20

Ivykate, she was immunised before they left Australia in September. Just hoping the antibiotics do their job. Any idea how long treatment should last?

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Nov-10 20:13:09

gosh that isn't good - though it doesn't always work being vaccinated but it could be that she would have it ar worse if she hadn't been vaccinated.

I think it is about 4 weeks but not sure? sorry.

what cultural problems is she finding? is there anything anyone can do to help or reasure with that type of thing?

twofalls Sun 28-Nov-10 20:52:59

That is what I am hoping ivykate. I think part of the problem is that it is really hard to get information from anyone. I think when her dh is there it's a lot better but she feels a bit invisable. She just wishes she was at home sad. Being I'll in a foriegn country is really hard I think.

KangarooCaught Sun 28-Nov-10 20:54:48

Would her consulate be of any use if she's not a citizen?

twofalls Sun 28-Nov-10 21:01:51

That is a good idea, it's worth a try. She is British but her daughter is Australian which is where she lives. I am going to call her tomorrow.

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Nov-10 21:29:37

perhaps trying to find an interpretor through the consulat maybe the way to go. Being in a foriegn country can be hard enough at times with cultural differences without have a sick baby in hospital sad

twofalls Sun 28-Nov-10 21:52:34

I know. She had an awful experience last week trying to get her glucouse test sorted out and was only just saying she was glad she wasn't staying in India to have her baby sad. Her DH's company have been really good so hopefully they will provide some assistance in this case too. I will suggest the consulate though.

DD2 was really ill when she was a newborn and it was awful - can't imagine how hard it must be when you don't speak the language and you are worried about the general standard of care.

I will call her tomorrow and suggest the consulate. Just feel so helpless - just wish there was more I could do.

twofalls Mon 29-Nov-10 07:09:30

No temp spike this morning so really hoping they are getting on top of infection.

twofalls Tue 30-Nov-10 13:11:15

She has been discharged and is out of danger. Will be treated as an outpatient.

Phew!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: