Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS's snot smells really strong. Why?

(22 Posts)
Spidermama Sun 28-Nov-10 18:08:17

When he's blocked I can really smell the snot of DS2 (10 years old). It's always thick and yellow too.

The others don't seem to have this problem.

Is there anything I can do? I feel sorry for him as I bet his friends move away when he smells like this.

Spidermama Sun 28-Nov-10 18:15:32

Not the most seductive topic on a Sunday around dinner time I know but none the less am bumping as I would like to know a bit more about this.

Meglet Sun 28-Nov-10 18:16:25

infection I think.

piprabbit Sun 28-Nov-10 18:16:27

Oooh, I remember a thread about this a little while ago. Consensus seemed to be that something might be wedged up the child's nose, possible causing some sort of infection.
I think the OP went to the GP, who sent her to the hospital - but I don't recall the outcome.

Perhaps someone who knows will be along soon.

festivefriedawhingesagain Sun 28-Nov-10 18:17:28

I would recommend lying him down, getting a torch, and looking up his nose.

When DD had very stinky snot, there was a furry pompom craft thing stuck up there. Twas very nice <boak>

Spidermama Sun 28-Nov-10 18:19:52

I don't think it could be something stuck up there. His snot has always stank and he's nearly 11 now.

Spidermama Sun 28-Nov-10 18:20:44

It certainly does smell like it's infected though, although he has no other infection symptoms.

He's T1 diabetic but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

festivefriedawhingesagain Sun 28-Nov-10 18:22:05

Sinus problem? Adenoids? Does he snore?

festivefriedawhingesagain Sun 28-Nov-10 18:25:08

If he is T1 I would maybe ask if the GP if getting a swab sent off might be useful, just because if he is getting bacterial infections as opposed to a simple cold, they may want to treat it.

Spidermama Sun 28-Nov-10 18:25:14

Yes he snores. His dad is quite sinussy. Should I take him to the doctor? Is there anything can be done?

Spidermama Sun 28-Nov-10 18:26:11

Thanks festie. Will do. Are you a medic then?

TheChewyToffeeMum Sun 28-Nov-10 18:28:06

Sounds like he might have chronic sinus infection - he would be at higher risk due to being diabetic. Might be worth asking your GP about antibiotics/sampling.

PrematureEjoculation Sun 28-Nov-10 18:32:54

my brother had this. he'd been shoving bits of sponge up his nose.

once tweezed out, it got better.

hth.

Boozilla Sun 28-Nov-10 18:36:18

Can't imagine a 10 year old shoving anything up there still? What age do they grow out of that sort of thing?

festivefriedawhingesagain Sun 28-Nov-10 19:12:18

Not a Dr, just a nurse thoughsmile

festivefriedawhingesagain Sun 28-Nov-10 19:13:09

Maybe ask for an ENT referral for him.

mathanxiety Sun 28-Nov-10 19:19:59

Have you ever thought of having him use a neti pot (sp?)

ShanahansRevenge Sun 28-Nov-10 19:23:45

Even at his age he culd have inhaled something....something small and light which wuld be enough to cause an infection. Thinking bits of fluff...bit of tissue perhaps got stuck?

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 28-Nov-10 19:49:21

Message withdrawn

Spidermama Thu 09-Dec-10 14:36:05

I'd never heard of a netipot. Thanks mathanxiety. I've ordered one and if it goes well I might get one for my snoring, sinussy dh too.

Spidermama Mon 20-Dec-10 15:58:32

mathanxiety thanks so much for the neti pot tip. I bought one after your suggestion which finally arrived this morning. DS used it and said he felt great.

!!! Major TMI alert !!!

A cylinder of light green snot was eased out of his nostril (and into my sink - bleurch!). He said he felt much lighter and his headache had gone. He's really thrilled.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who gets sinussy or who gets blocked up.

YunoYurbubson Mon 20-Dec-10 16:02:19

Oh yay! I am a massive fan of the netipot but every time I mention them I get hmm faces. I used to mention them on all the "I'm pregnant and have a terrible cold" threads but got ignored inbto submission.

My dd had terribly stinky snot caused by glue ear. Possible?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: