Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

HV says DS is gaining weight too quickly. HELP

(17 Posts)
babynoah Sat 27-Nov-10 20:19:31

My HV says DS is gaining weight too quickly. what do i do?

He was born 1 week early weighing 2.8kg (6'3) now 7 months weighing 9kg (16'13)

He's eating 2 solid meals a day now and about 30oz milk. He is very active during the day. but isn't moving yet.

is there anything i can do? or do i just let him do what he wants?

HELP

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hillyhilly Sat 27-Nov-10 20:21:59

Whar she said

mjinsparklystockings Sat 27-Nov-10 20:22:05

Message withdrawn

hillyhilly Sat 27-Nov-10 20:22:39

Doh - 3 word answer and I still can't spell it right!!
What she said!!!!!

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 27-Nov-10 20:24:02

Erm, my 14 week old weighs that blush. There is nothign wrong with him and I won't hear otherwise - not a lot I could do anyway exclusively breastfeeding.

I presume you are feeding to his appetite and not forcing it down him? Giving him healthy foods not pureed fat? Then ignore, ignore, ignore.

DS1 was like that and you can now count his ribs and every dent in his spine.

babynoah Sun 28-Nov-10 18:42:33

HV said that he was gaining too quickly.when she looked at the graph thing in the red book, he started on the 9th centile and is now well over the 75th centile. the HV said they should only go up 2 groups (that would be 50, not 75!!)

he has fruit porridge for breakfast, veg puree with sweet potato/butternut squash for lunch, and meat with veg and rice/potatoes for dinner. with either water or very diluted OJ to drink.
and abouy 30-32oz milk.

he just eats when he's hungry.

he was a very colicky baby and still is a bit windy so have to steer clear of dairy all together-so almost no fat (except his comfort milk)

you guys have made me feel better. i don't want to have to put him on a diet!!

his dad is tall, so hopefully DS will take after him, not me, i've always been on the larger side even though i eat healthly and do a fair bit of exercise.

edam Sun 28-Nov-10 18:48:57

So what does she want you to do, stop feeding him? Daft mare. Assuming you aren't forcing food down his gullet, just ignore her.

Btw, the graphs reflect the weight distribution of a population of healthy babies. They don't direct the growth of an individual baby. Babies do go from 9th centile at birth to 75th at 7 months. Just as some people are shorter than average aged 5 but end up taller than the rest of the class aged 15.

festivefriedawhingesagain Sun 28-Nov-10 18:49:53

I have the answer. Stop getting him weighedgrin

No need to get him weighed unless you are worried he is unwell, or if you are just checking he is heavy enough for a new car seat, IMHO.

Sounds like a very balanced diet and he is thriving.

TheUnmentioned Sun 28-Nov-10 18:50:57

yip, ignore!

choufleur Sun 28-Nov-10 18:52:09

Ignore her. Ds weighed 20lbs at 20 weeks. He was a very solid little boy with lovely fat chunky squeezable thighs. He's now a very tall 4 1/2 year old with not an oz of fat on him.

CarGirl Sun 28-Nov-10 18:52:34

Ignore ignore as you've already been told. DH and SIL and family are all really tall.

SIL's baby was 6lb2oz (she smokes got preclampsia and had her a little early) mine was 10lb6oz (17 days overdue plus my Mum had large babies too)

Err they both ended up on the 98th centile despite very different starts in life......

How tall is your baby? Unless he is particularly short I wouldn't have any concern at all!

FlightofFancy Sun 28-Nov-10 19:32:19

What rubbish. If it's any consolation, my DS was born at 25th percentile and is now happily on 91st - briefly edged towards 98th. Not only am I very happy with him, but also my HV didn't see any problem with it.

He jumped from 25th to 75th at around 6-8 weeks just on BF (was 3 weeks early, so may have been compensating!), then from 75th to 91st+ when he weaned at around 6 months. As long as he's roughly in proportion and happy, then I wouldn't worry!

MummyBerryJuice Sun 28-Nov-10 19:42:26

Nonsense! Just ignore her. As all other posters have said babies DON'T follow those lines. They are a rough guide. As long as you are not force feeding your DS (and I'm sure you're not) and what you feed him is good, nutritious, varied and healthy (which I'm sure it is) you have nothing to worry about.

babynoah Mon 29-Nov-10 20:51:20

thanks everyone. you have really put my mind at rest. :-)

CarGirl: he is quite tall.

The HV's and Dr's are keeping a close eye on him cos i have postnatal depression- just checking (i hope)

CarGirl Tue 30-Nov-10 19:58:02

Ask HV to measure his length, perhaps his height and weight are one similar centiles - it is crazy just to look at weight without considering height and build.

Morph2 Wed 01-Dec-10 19:30:31

My DS is 6 and a half months, was 6lb11oz at birth (9th centile) and then rose up to the 75th centile by about 4 months and followed that till last time he was weighed at 6 months when he was just under 19lb. My HV was always really pleased with this and praised me about how well i was doing for him to be putting on all that weight. She told me at this age babies can't put on too much weight, so basically the exact opposite of what you were told!!

My DS is also very active, waving his arms and legs about, but doesn't really move yet and has only recently started rolling over but doesn't do that much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now