Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Does a Leukaemic child need an antiviral after being exposed to another kid who was exposed to chickenpox?

(18 Posts)
hazlinh Fri 26-Nov-10 05:24:42

Help! My dd(6) has leukaemia and has a very low immunity so chickenpox can be fatal.

One of her cousins, aged 8, just found out yesterday he has chickenpox and unfortunately he met another cousin, aged 6, on Sunday who me and DD met on Monday for a playdate. This cousin that we met, has not had chickenpox yet.

Does anyone know if dd needs an antiviral jab that will prevent chickenpox? She's never had chickenpox.

I've left a message with the Dr but his staff hasn't got back to me yet. Am frantic with worry.

FanjoForTheMincePies Fri 26-Nov-10 05:41:44

i am pretty sure the cousin you met will not have been infectious yet, chickenpox takes weeks to incubate.

hazlinh Fri 26-Nov-10 05:48:20

oh right. thanks FanjoForThe mincePies, that is so reassuring, you have no idea! thanks!

FanjoForTheMincePies Fri 26-Nov-10 06:02:10

Any time. smile

Alouiseg Fri 26-Nov-10 06:36:05

Ds2 got shingles while being treated for Leukaemia. We weren't even aware that he had been in contact with chicken pox.

Not really an answer to your question but something to watch out for.

onimolap Fri 26-Nov-10 07:07:30

I think you need to get on to your oncolgist or a Macmillan nurse asap.

CP is your immediate concern, but any infectious disease can be very, very serious to someone whose immune system is impaired by leukaemia: any of the many bugs doing the rounds now could cause a major problem.

It sounds to me as if you need profesdional advice on infection control and what to do if you suspect exposure (to anything).

I hope it goes well, and you can keep safe from all infections.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 26-Nov-10 07:39:44

Message withdrawn

hazlinh Fri 26-Nov-10 07:57:53

Alouiseg, thanks so much. Crikey, yes they have to watch out for a lot of things, don't they. How's your DS doing now? Has he completed his chemo? Which type of leukaemia did he have?

Thanks onimolap. The nurse finally called me back, and she said the Dr said not to worry and that dd needs the jab only if she has had direct contact with the chickenpox patient. Phewwwww. i think you're right though abt needing professional advice re infection control!! i hadn't asked her about that. maybe we'll just try and keep indoors and stay away from crowded places for now until the chickenpox epidemic dies down... what other major bugs are there right now??

Thanks Pixie, am not in the UK at the moment...

FanjoForTheMincePies Fri 26-Nov-10 08:20:43

it must be a real worry for you! sad

hazlinh Fri 26-Nov-10 08:25:30

yes, especially as we know one boy under the same onco who didn't make it after getting chickenpox. he developed pneumonia and other complications

but another boy who also got chickenpox pulled through! so i suppose it depends...

hazlinh Fri 26-Nov-10 10:42:55

oh another question: my mum cant remember if she has had chickenpox but she too met the chickenpox cousin on Sunday...but based on what Fanjo says, it is safe to see her this week? at least before 10 days? as this is the minimum incubation period i think? (10-21 days, based on what i've googled)

Alouiseg Fri 26-Nov-10 10:50:44

Ds2 Had A.L.L diagnosed when he was 3. He's now a strapping 12 year old guitarist with very long hair. He was on ALL 97 protocol. Boys were treated for just over 3 years, girls for just over 2.

What does your ds have?

hazlinh Fri 26-Nov-10 11:10:37

Alouiseg, wow, sounds like your DS is doing extremely well

my dd has ALL too, diagnosed in Dec 2009, her chemo will end Jan 2012...

Seona1973 Fri 26-Nov-10 11:11:13

Just wanted to sat that you dont get shingles from contact with chicken pox as shingles is a reactivation of chicken pox had at an earlier time i.e. you cant get shingles without having had chicken pox in the past.

Alouiseg Fri 26-Nov-10 11:26:32

Its a long slog isn't it, but you're nearly half way there already. How old is she?

hazlinh Fri 26-Nov-10 11:29:58

hey seona, oh right, yes i thought that was the case but wasn't sure...

alouiseg, it is isn't it!! and i'm still working full-time at the same time! god am so relieved and thankful that we're just about halfway there. she is 6, and will be 7 in feb...thinking of going back to school next year as chemo will be less intense and less frequent.

FanjoForTheMincePies Fri 26-Nov-10 12:07:22

i think probably it is safe to see her, but I am not a medical professional, so I would seek an expert opinion on whether to see her,since it's such an important issue.

hazlinh Sat 27-Nov-10 08:18:54

Thanks Fanjo, think you're right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now