Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

IUGR/SGA baby rapid head growth

(2 Posts)
sleepysosleepy Wed 24-Nov-10 09:44:05

i've already asked about this in special needs but haven't had any replies yet and am getting a little anxious so thought i'd ask here in case there are more people about

has anyone any experience of their baby's head growing very rapidly? what has the outcome been?

DS is 7 months and his head has gone from 0.4th centile at birth (born at term but IUGR) to 25th centile at 4 months and 50th centile at 7 months.

is this the normal growth rate for a baby who is catching up? his body and length were 0.4th at birth then moved up to the 2nd at 4 weeks and have tracked that line ever since.

he has ventriculomegaly too and agenesis of the corpus callosum so i'm already a little concerned about autism and i understand a rapidly growing head in the first year can indicate autism too.

just wondered if there is anything i can do to help him? i've heard about early intervention with autism but don't really know what that means exactly, different ways of playing with him etc? i want to do something practical while i wait for the professionals to complete their monitoring. i'm sure it could't do any harm.

there's also the worry that the ventricles could be increasing is size. he hasn't had any scans since he was a couple of days old and they seemed stable then.

does anyone have any similar experience? could he just be catching up or is that kind of growth rate just too fast to be ok?

MillyMollyMardy Wed 24-Nov-10 15:21:23

Hi sleepy,
My dd was born at 34 weeks with IUGR she was on the 0.4 centile for weight, 9th for head circumference, 25th for head circumference and 9th for weight 2 weeks later and was at 50th for weight and 75th for head at 7 months. She has no health problems and seems to have a similar growth pattern to your ds. She was reviewed by the NICU team a month ago and they discharged her so they were obviously happy with her measurements. I know your ds obviously has other health issues but they do have a lot of catching up to do which happens mainly in their first 2 years.
I hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now