Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Antibiotics and rather explosive diarrhoea

(6 Posts)
RoobyMurray Mon 22-Nov-10 18:29:52

DS is 5 and was prescribed amoxicillin for a chest infection on Friday. The prescribing nurse warned it can upset the stomach sometimes. On Saturday night (whilst my mum was looking after him) he had very urgent diarrhoea which she had to wipe off the wall! shock

By this morning he seems loads better but we kept him off school to avoid the humiliation of him pebble dashing the school toilets. However, this afternoon has been rather challenging with him feeling well but not able to get out, and his younger brother being too poorly to move far from the sofa.

So my question is, how long should I keep him off for? he's on the antibiotics until Friday.

RoobyMurray Mon 22-Nov-10 19:36:52

WWYD?

cupofcoffee Mon 22-Nov-10 19:47:14

When was the last diarrhoea? If none since saturday and he is well you could send him back tomorrow I would think. If OTOH he is not well in himself or he has been having some diarrhoea today then prob best to stay home tomorrow in case further episodes of diarrhoea.

RoobyMurray Mon 22-Nov-10 20:28:29

thanks cupofcoffee (was going to shorten to your initials but thought better smile) he had some non-explosive loose poo this evening. I know you're right. I was kind of hoping someone would say, "he'll be FINE!"

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 22-Nov-10 20:43:07

Message withdrawn

RoobyMurray Mon 22-Nov-10 20:57:26

yeah, pretty sure it's antibiotics rather than a bug. Well, I have no reason to think otherwise, given that the nurse told us to expect it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now