Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox...how long do I keep off school?

(11 Posts)
AlisonDubois Sun 21-Nov-10 20:18:13

DD has woken up this morning with spots that have multiplied over the day...chickenpox.
How long do I keep her away from others?
Is it dangerous to adults, ie Grandma?
Do I keep her brothers off school too just in case, or let them go and see if it develops or not?
Also, do I need to contact GP or just use calpol, calamine lotion and lots of fluids?
Confused, any advice?

BubbaAndBump Sun 21-Nov-10 20:35:39

Until they all scab over I'm afraid. Siblings are fine at school until they catch it (probably in a couple of weeks' time). I kept mine away from grandparents because my mum's immune system is shot, but if they've had it before and are healthy, it should be okay. No to playgrounds etc that are likely to be busy. Def. stay away from pregnant women.

Don't contact GP (definitely don't take her to GP), but piriton (or similar) to help ease the itching, calamine lotion can be drying and therefore itchy, but can be good. Genuinely good idea is a stocking full of porridge oats (tied at the top) and added to her bath - it's soothing.

Poor her - it can be really nasty

onimolap Sun 21-Nov-10 20:43:52

DD needs to be kept at home until all spots have dried up and scabbed over.

There is no need to quarantine contacts, including her siblings; so they can go to school as normal unless/until they become symptomatic.

I'd let the grandparents decide for themselves if they want to visit your house, and warn all other callers at the doorstep. As well as potentially passing on chicken pox, it can also precipitate an attack of shingles.

eviscerateyourmemory Sun 21-Nov-10 20:51:29

Her brother might not get it - even living in the same house it isnt guaranteed that they will get it.

Contact with a person with chicken pox shouldnt preciptate shingles, as that is a long term consequence of having had chicken pox.

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Sun 21-Nov-10 20:57:45

the school probably has a policy.

ours is 7 days after the last spots have appeared, in fact he is going back tomorrow after 2 weeks off. Just not worth risking it.

It can't cause precipitate shingles according to the NHS website.

dahu Sun 21-Nov-10 21:04:29

You should contact your GP so it can be put on her notes that she has had it, you shouldn't need to attend the surgery just phone.
I was told it takes five days after first spots appear for all to come out, then you have to wait until each pustule has gone before she can go back to school.

AlisonDubois Sun 21-Nov-10 21:09:48

Sounds lovely...can't wait for the 'pustule' phase.
Thanks for replies, at least I know what steps to take now.
Will try the porridge in the bag for the bath too.

onimolap Sun 21-Nov-10 21:46:20

Stand corrected! I had thought that re-exposure to the virus was one of the things that could lead to the "stored" virus reappearing as shingles. Seems not.

<I'll hide behind the mechanism which causes reemergence not being fully understood>

GiddyPickle Mon 22-Nov-10 18:54:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Danthe4th Mon 22-Nov-10 22:26:33

Current advice is infectious for 2 days before and for 5 days after spots appear, you no longer have to wait until they all scab over. But most schools still say until the scabs have formed as thats what we are all used to hearing.

Runoutofideas Tue 23-Nov-10 10:56:34

Both my dd's had chicken pox last year. I found this gel to be better than calamine and less messy.

My dd2 came out in spots exactly 2 weeks after her sister's first spots.

Hope your dd is not too poorly with it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: