Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

worms - advice please.

(9 Posts)
mumbar Sat 20-Nov-10 21:40:11

OK in a nut shell, friends DD2 had sore bits and bottom GP said no worms or evidence of UTI. DS today has been complaining of sore bottom and noticed he was itching it tonight and took ages to go to sleep.

Spoken to friend who said this sounds like worms and perhaps her DD2 does have it and theres cross comtamination - they play together a lot.

No-one else seems to have any symptoms.

Can this be treated with OTC medicine? If yes would it ne harmful for both of us to treat the whole family and take the 2 week precautions just in case??

(googled worms but couldn't find this info)

Thanks.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 20-Nov-10 21:49:15

Yes Ovex I think it's called - Boots or any other pharmacy. But generally the GP will prescribe it - mine doesn't even require a visit - just a phone call and he puts it through for the whole family.

mumbar Sat 20-Nov-10 21:56:30

Thanks, Is it OK to take it as a precaution? Just seems a bit co-incidental that its both of them.

Wonder of OOH would do the same if I called tomorrow?

SatinShoes Sat 20-Nov-10 21:59:43

You can buy a family pack over the counter at the chemist. Treat everyone. Wash all bedding, towels etc. Repeat in 2 weeks.

HowsTheSerenity Sat 20-Nov-10 22:01:36

Just buy some worm tablets and do the whole family. Won't hurt anyone. I do everyone regularly just in case.

mumbar Sat 20-Nov-10 22:08:11

Thankyou, I've stripped beds tonight as per internet suggestions and put in disinfected wash. Will have to rewash tomorrow in non-bio as DS can't use any detergents. I'll do towels aswell tomorrow. He has clean PJ's nightly anyway. Do I need to re strip bed tomorrow as i won't start treatment until then?

Just spoken to friend again and she's going to treat her family and cat too.

Sounds very OTT doesn't it grin. Guess it beats DS walking around school on Monday scratching his arse and them ringing me blush. Oh thats a point do I need to inform them <please say no!>

As I've said theres no garuntee it is worms just kinda makes sense iyswim?

HowsTheSerenity Sat 20-Nov-10 22:13:06

Why would you need to inform the school?
Worms will not kill you. Dont worry. Just deworm them and move on grin

mumbar Sat 20-Nov-10 22:19:54

Not really sure why I thought it confused. Guess that we think her DD may have had it afterall and now DS has - wasn't sure as it seems easily passed on what the score is?

Get the nit letter weekly - suddenly had a vision of the worm one hmm shock grin

Cheers everyone. grin

SatinShoes Sun 21-Nov-10 10:30:59

I told school and some of DDs friends mums when it happened to her as I didnt want her getting re-infected straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now