Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Think 4yo has croup - can it be serious?

(3 Posts)
tjandpootle Sat 20-Nov-10 00:32:28

My DS seemed under the weather this afternoon. After being asleep for a couple of hours he woke up with a 'barking dog' type cough and threw up (mainly phlegm). He went back to sleep but has just done the same thing (minus the vomit).

He's really wheezy and when he gets upset it seems like he can hardly take an in breath. He's sleeping in our bed so we can keep an eye/ear on him but how bad do you think it needs to get before I take hin to A&E (or am I just being paranoid/overdramatic).

MrToad Sat 20-Nov-10 00:46:30

It can be serious TJ, if he is having probs with his breathing then take him to A&E or call for an ambulance.

DS has had to have oxygen and steroids for croup in the past. I sleep with him when he's got croup just incase he doesn't wake me up.

I hope your DS is OK tonight.

blinks Sat 20-Nov-10 01:55:31

you need to get him seen ASAP. if he is seriously struggling for breath, 999 is safest option.

i am a NHS24 advisor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now