Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

High fever (>39degrees) for 5 weeks+. Anyone else?

(16 Posts)
MummyBerryJuice Thu 18-Nov-10 16:59:38

DS who is 11 months old is entering his 5th week of spiking high temperatures in the late afternoon and again at around 2am. He has had a streaming nose intermittently and at one stage a cough that made him bring up all his feeds. His appetite has now improved but was dismal before a course of antibiotics 2 weeks ago.

Nights are awful but the days ok, he is lively and cheery enough (even if a bit clingy. But then that may be separation anxiety) and is even starting to walk.

I know someone else (online) that has a similar situation with his 17month old but has been struggling for 7 weeks!

Has anyone else experienced something similar or are there any paeds around that can shed some light? Should I be pushing for more investigations or just take heart?

He is still breastfed n

jollyma Thu 18-Nov-10 17:05:50

What does your gp say?

MummyBerryJuice Thu 18-Nov-10 17:09:05

He's been thrice and each time they he has been unconcerned really. Looks like an URTI each time prescribed Antibios on the third visit that did seem to help by it was emperic really as no evidence of affecting ears/throat/chest etc.

jollyma Thu 18-Nov-10 17:12:48

I wouldn't be happy if it had been going on this long. Is there another gp you could see? After this length of time i would ask for referral to a paediatrician.

jollyma Thu 18-Nov-10 17:15:42

If you have a particularly bad night you could take him to A and E for a more thorough check while his temp is high.

winnybella Thu 18-Nov-10 17:20:14

Definitely get him checked out. Either he keeps on getting infection after infection or it's something more serious. It's not normal for a child (or adult) to have a high fever for 5 weeks non stop.

MummyBerryJuice Thu 18-Nov-10 17:24:19

We live MILES away from the closest hospital (rural North Yorks) and I know the hospital A&E set up very well and TBH wouldn't reall want one of the juniors there to see him at night as they'll just admit and I don't think he needs it at this stage.

MummyBerryJuice Thu 18-Nov-10 17:28:36

It hasn't been non stop really (there was about a week since the start of the antibiotic that he was fever free)

jollyma Thu 18-Nov-10 20:39:00

That makes the hospital trip difficult. I'd definitely stamp my feet for a referral if gp is unable to help. Hope he is better soon. It might be worth finding out if a urine sample would be of any use before your next appointment n see if you can get him to sit on the potty long enough to perform.

USoRight Thu 18-Nov-10 20:53:44

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kawasaki-disease/Pages/Sympt oms.aspx
This is the main nasty with unremitting high fevers, so check the symptoms. Without a rash it is unlikely to be the above and to be honest apart from the fevers sounds more like piggy back viruses or an undetected infection. Ears/chest/urine? It may just be a case of sitting it out.

MummyBerryJuice Thu 18-Nov-10 22:16:44

Thank you. I think I will take him back tomorrow and request a referral. They are quite good about referring in tue practises really. (Deep down I do think that it is probably 'piggy-back' viruses but it is really starting to worry me.

BelleMama Thu 18-Nov-10 22:32:30

If it is any comfort my DS (13 months) has had a similar cold/cough thing with temperature from time to time for at least 5 weeks now. Like yours he is fine in the day but he is a bit grouchy first / last thing in the day and sleep a bit disturbed.

This winter I think that there are just some horrid virus that stick around and are really hard to shake. Sadly antibiotics won't do anything for a virus (which could be why he hasn't improved) and you'll just need to wait it out.

If you are still concerned though you are doing the right thing. You know when your child isn't right and nothing beats that in terms of diagnosis. Keep pushing if you think he needs to see someone.

MummyBerryJuice Fri 19-Nov-10 08:25:05

Going the GP again today. Problem is, that he seems quite bright and cheery once he's been up for an hour or so. And then I think I'd just be wasting everyone's time.

BelleMama Fri 19-Nov-10 19:17:24

How did it go today mummyberry?

MummyBerryJuice Sat 20-Nov-10 07:18:20

Thanks for asking Belle. She found some chest signs in R LL and we have another course of antibiotics and a referral to the Paed next week.

After only 24hrs of the amoxil he seems a lo beter already. smile

Seems, though, that my body has finally succumbed and I feel like I'm coming down with a horrendous cold.

BelleMama Sat 20-Nov-10 08:22:51

Oh dear poor you. Glad to hear you are getting somewhere though and that DS is starting to feel better.

Look after yourselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now