Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS1 banged his tooth, now its discoloured...

(11 Posts)
geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 14-Nov-10 22:40:46

About 3 weeks ago, ds1 banged his front tooth when he fell getting out of the bath at his grans. there was blood around the gum, which cleared up and he said it was wobbly, but in the morning it didnt seem wobbly. I think it might have been knocked a little crooked. I didnt take him to the dentist as it wasn't painful.

However in the last day or two, it has become yellowy from the top to half way down.

What should I do? He needs to go to the dentist, doesn't he? Does any one know if they will be likely to take it out? He totally freaks out about medical things like injections since he had a few nasty experiences last year at hospital. I dread taking him to the dentist and them taking it out, does anyone know how they go about it with kids? Do they have to have an injection in the gum? <terrified emoticon>

NotShortImPomBearSized Sun 14-Nov-10 22:44:23

My ds somehow managed to do something similar but involved eating an apple hmm

Anyway like your ds, his tooth also went discoloured. He saw dentist who said nothing they can/would do about it. It's just one of those things but adult teeth should come through "normal" colour.

HTH smile

Beamur Sun 14-Nov-10 22:48:15

Something happened to me when I was a child - head collision with another child I think, which left me with a discoloured tooth. It was fine, didn't need any attention, I just had to put up with it looking a bit manky until the adult tooth came through. Adult tooth was fine, no damage at all.

suzikettles Sun 14-Nov-10 22:50:35

Me too (as a child). I had a bad knock to a tooth and it eventually went a bit grey. It just fell out in the normal way when the adult tooth pushed through. The adult tooth was absolutely fine.

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 12:57:56

thanks all for those reassuring tales of banged teeth smile

So is the general consensus that I shouldtake him to the dentist, but that they wont do anything?

amelem Mon 15-Nov-10 13:14:55

I'd wait until your next dentist check up. It's horrible when this happens isn't it! My dd did this when she was two and her tooth went a bit grey, and initially wobbly. The tooth has only just come out recently, she is now six. I did mention it to the dentist at her usual check up, he said that they only worry about banged milk teeth if the tooth has pushed upwards as it could affect the adult tooth coming through.

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 13:19:39

oh really amelem? thanks for that. They are really due to go, but I was going to wait until the christmas holidays so i didnt have to mess about taking them out of school...

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 13:20:15

and yes it was awful, he split his lip too, and looked dreadful when it happened!!

grapesandmoregrapes Mon 15-Nov-10 13:24:04

A similar thing happened to my DD a few weeks ago, and her tooth is now slightly discoloured.

The dentist said that as long as it doesn't hurt then it will most likely be ok, and to take her back if the discolouration becomes much worse. But he said it is very common to have discolouration after trauma to the teeth, and nothing to worry about.

If you are at all worried then take him to the dentist, but they are very unlikely to remove it.

HTH

ThistleWhistle Mon 15-Nov-10 13:25:02

My DS did this too, fell over, knocked his tooth and split his lip. His tooth went grey and the dentist said there is nothing we can do until the tooth falls out. It happened about a year ago and my DS is nearly 4 so a couple of years still to wait until it falls out! TBH it did go grey but seems to have lightened up a bit now, (or maybe that's just my perception, not sure).

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 13:31:56

thistle, no ive read similar stories (after extensive googling last night grin) that they can go lighter again. Blimey, this is a very common thing isnt it. Why dont they issue gum sheilds inthe bounty pack!?!?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: