Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS 4 vomiting in his sleep.

(21 Posts)
FlameGrilledMama Wed 10-Nov-10 19:55:28

I know there is a 24 hour sickness bug going around the school so I am certain it is that he has no temperature. But he is not waking up to vomit and he is choking while being sick. I am able to wake him as easily as normal no rash or anything what would you advise? should I sit up with him to watch for vomiting? or take him to primecare? will they even be able to do anything?

sorry if I am panicing but I have never known anyone to vomit while asleep unless under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

belgo Wed 10-Nov-10 19:57:56

This happened to my dd2, who was also four year old at the time, and it freaked me out a bit One time we found her the next morning with vomit in her bed, and a few nights later I saw it happen - she was fast asleep and just vomited, didn;'t wake up or even turn. i put her into the recovery position but she was fine.
Can you wake him up? What is he like when he is awake? How many times has he been sick?

FlameGrilledMama Wed 10-Nov-10 20:05:37

I can wake him but he is sleepy and grumpy and goes straight back asleep. He has been sick 3 times, he is in the recovery position ATM and sleeping again.

belgo Wed 10-Nov-10 20:07:52

If you can't wake him properly, I would phone the doctor.

FlameGrilledMama Wed 10-Nov-10 20:09:21

I can wake him if I wake him normally he is always grumpy and sleepy and goes straight back to sleep so he is not behaving unusual in way other than the sickness.

blinks Wed 10-Nov-10 20:27:30

you need to clarify whether or not he's waking up properly ie fully conscious, making normal eye contact and responding normally when he's being woken up. if he's very lethargic and listless and/or drowsy, you need to get him seen asap.

FlameGrilledMama Wed 10-Nov-10 20:31:18

He is responding as he normally does I could get him to stand up and wake up fully if I wanted to as easily as normal. He is conscious.

blinks Wed 10-Nov-10 20:37:11

so is he acting as sleepy as he normally would at this time of night or does he seem more lethargic than usual? any other symptoms besides the vomiting?

FlameGrilledMama Wed 10-Nov-10 20:39:34

He is acting the same as he normally would and he just vomited again and woke up this time and is sitting up having a drink.

No further symtoms. Thank you both for advising me I am grateful.

blinks Wed 10-Nov-10 20:44:11

it does sounds like a vomiting bug. keep an eye out for any blood/brown/green liquid in vomit. if he develops a headache or severe stomach pains or becomes very lethargic get him assessed by out of hours.

FlameGrilledMama Wed 10-Nov-10 20:46:26

Ok thank you I will probably stay up with him to keep a eye and look out for any of those symptoms.

Acanthus Wed 10-Nov-10 20:46:40

Ooh poor you. You'll have to stay in the room with him I think. Try and keep him in the recovery position with his leg well out but they do wriggle I know.

nameymcnamechange Wed 10-Nov-10 20:47:09

I would cover my bed with towels from the laundry basket, get a bucket, and sleep with him just to be sure. If he is genuinely difficult to rouse (rather than just sleepy) then I would seek further advice.

FlameGrilledMama Wed 10-Nov-10 20:47:59

Yes he will definetely be in the same room and I shall stay up for a while until I think the worst is over smile

nameymcnamechange Wed 10-Nov-10 20:54:28

If my two have a vomiting bug that comes on in the middle of the night, we get the sofa bed out, put a dvd on, and one of us stays up with the poor unfortunate and tries to catch the vomit in a bucket. They can be sick an alarming number of times (give tiny sips of water in between, like a teaspoonful at a time) and it can all get very messy indeed if they are sick whilst asleep.

FlameGrilledMama Wed 10-Nov-10 20:58:32

Yes we have already got vomit on our sofa bed, I will definetly cover with towels and dig out a box set, I have drawn the short straw it would seem. We have been offering small sips of water hope he gets better soon.

Thank you for the advice (particularly the towel advice)

nameymcnamechange Wed 10-Nov-10 21:00:08

Awwww. Good luck.

belgo Thu 11-Nov-10 07:32:26

Hope he is better this morning and you got some sleep.

FlameGrilledMama Thu 11-Nov-10 11:11:54

Thanks yes he much better grin He perked up and stopped vomiting around 3 so I went to sleep then thank you for asking. I have kept him off school today though just in case.

hillyhilly Thu 11-Nov-10 11:16:46

He needs to stay off school for 48 hours from last vomit - those are the guidelines to avoid passing it on.
My DS has vomited in his sleep loads of times, he just seems to sleep through it and the first we know is either when we check on our way to bed or in the morning and we find him covered in it! I doubt he would choke if he has normal consciousness, he's probably just a v deep sleeper

FlameGrilledMama Thu 11-Nov-10 12:07:46

Yes he is a very deep sleeper grin he is like a log and does not move a muscle all night grin thanks I will keep him off for the rest of the week at least then smile that is why he has caught it my friend sent her son the morning after he stopped being sick and ds always plays with him <sigh>.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: