Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Glue Ear and Hearing Aids, Any Experience?

(3 Posts)
curlywurlycremeegg Wed 10-Nov-10 09:53:27

DD is 5, she has had some hearing loss for the past 2 years and it appears to be caused by "glue ear". Her hearing is now well below normal and continues to deteriorate on testing over a 2 year period. The community paediatrician saw her yesterday and felt that VT/grommets were indicated, however we could try a non surgical approach and using hearing aids. As DD never complains of ear pain or shows any signs of infection I am thinking of trying the hearing aided route first, in the hope that the glue ear will resolve in a few years time. On researching online I have found that hearing aids to boost hearing whilst waiting for glue ear to dissipate spontaneously is not an uncommon thing. Has anyone any experience of this, if so can you help me with any pros/cons you have found for this treatment. Thanks

tulip27 Wed 10-Nov-10 09:58:10

Hello curlyw. My ds had his hearing aids fitted yesterday for glue ear, he is 6. I know grommets work well for most people but we decided to go for the non surgical approach first. Yesterday he came out of school so excited at being able to hear so they have clearly done the trick for now.

curlywurlycremeegg Wed 10-Nov-10 10:03:12

Thanks Tulip, how did he tolerate having them fitted? Did he express any worries regarding wearing them before he had the fittings?

I was worried that I would be seen as a bit "mad" choosing the non surgical method by the health professionals, so it's always good to hear that others have made a similar decision. It's great that they have worked so well for your DS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now