Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help re ear problems and swimming??

(7 Posts)
Jackjack Tue 09-Nov-10 21:40:42

Sorry rubbish title but DS2 has a perforated ear drum this happened when he was 18mths and has never healed. He's now 5 and i'd like him to have swimming lessons, we go swimming as a family he's quite happy to float around with arm bands, wears ear plugs and a head band. I'm worried that with lessons he'l have to put his head under the water and it'll get into his ear. Anyone else had this problem??
Thanks Jack

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Tue 09-Nov-10 21:41:45

If he has ear plugs then water won't get into his ear.

Teaandcakeplease Tue 09-Nov-10 21:42:20

I got a lot of ear infections as a child and my mum bought me some special ear plugs to stop water going in my ears whilst swimming to try and help. It's a long time ago now but they must still sell them?

Jackjack Tue 09-Nov-10 22:10:27

He does wear ear plugs,I guess I'm just worried that if he's putting his head right under the water it may get in! Perhaps we should just go for it!!
Thanks for replies
Jack

Bue Tue 09-Nov-10 22:16:32

I had a perforated eardrum as a kid and eventually had a skin graft to cover it. I wore the silicone earplugs that mould really well into your ear - they can make it a bit more difficult to hear but are the best barrier to the water. Is that what he wears?

Swimming was a bit fraught - was very nervous of putting my head right under - but slowly I got over that fear, and I never had any real problems.

ElizabethWakefield Tue 09-Nov-10 22:26:24

DD had constant perforated eardrums when she was little.

We used the moulded ear plugs for everything, baths, hairwashing, swimming. They never let water in, even when her head was right under. She loved the water, so it was great that she could wear these.

Jackjack Wed 10-Nov-10 20:40:11

Thanks for your replies, I've decided to sign him up for lessons after xmas and use the silicone plugs!
Jack x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now