Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

?Anti-biotics, reaction or conincidence. Choking

(4 Posts)
strawberrycake Tue 09-Nov-10 18:36:27

Sorry, I hope someone more knowledgeable can help me out here.

My 5 m/o has a chest infection and has been prescribed anti-biotics. About 3/4 min after having them his cough went into a spasm and he started to choke. He turned red/ purple, his eyes bulged and he went limp. I was just about to dial 999 with one hand as I had him upside down on my legs and thumped his back with the other hand as he was limp/ didn't seem to have any breathe going in. Thank god he vomited, screamed and stopped choking. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't .

He seems ok now (considering chest infection). I just told my friend as I was so shaken/ in tears and needed to talk. I presumed he had mucus caught and choked but she suggested a reaction to the drugs. Is this possible. Is it worth calling nhs direct? Would he be fine now if it was? It's all left me so scared. I'm wobbly.

bubbleymummy Tue 09-Nov-10 19:24:15

Oh my goodness Strawberry - how scary for you! Can you check the side effects of the ABs online and see if it is a listed one? Maybe call OOH or NHS direct for advice?

TheUnmentioned Tue 09-Nov-10 19:26:18

I would call NHS anyways regrdless of whether it was a reaction or not tbh

CAbbas Tue 09-Nov-10 20:41:55

You poor thing! Sounds terrifying! It's unlikely to be an allergy as it wouldn't have cleared with vomitting but I would speak to nhs direct or call your doctor for reassurance anyway.
Hope your little one feels better soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: