Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand foot and mouth again

(4 Posts)
dycey Sat 06-Nov-10 22:01:27

Such a pain for my ds 21 months who has just had this virus for the second time in 4 months. The first time it was horrible for him and gave him an aversion to his hand sucking comfort habit - cue problems with going to sleep. This time it has stopped him sucking the bottle again ( I know he is old to have a bottle but i find it Amazing for relaxing him before sleep ) . The question I have is this - would he still have a sore mouth 2 and a half weeks after getting Ill?

No problem with eating, only sucking teat is problematic. Not seriously a prob just inconvenient as I am finding it hard to get him to sleep.

Could the ulcers have given him an aversion to sucking?

thelittlebluepills Sat 06-Nov-10 22:30:33

might have done. I put teething gel all over DS's dummy when he had it - he'd suck this for a bit which would anaesthetise his mouth and then he would feed happily

HTH

good luck

CharlieBoo Sat 06-Nov-10 23:34:04

My dd is 17 months and has had it twice, second time more mildly though. I caught it the second time and my mouth was the worst bit. The funny thing was you couldn't see them in my mouth with the naked eye but I could feel them. They were so painful. Maybe get his ears checked too, my dd would never suck the bottle when her ears were bad/teething.

dycey Sun 07-Nov-10 05:51:05

Thanks for your replies - really a bit of a mystery and quite annoying in that once the illness has gone each time it gas disrupted our sleep routine...

Perhaps it is ears or teething tho! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now