Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11 month old with persistent cough

(13 Posts)
arcadia96 Fri 29-Oct-10 19:43:31

My 11 month old has had constant colds since August. She has only had a raised temperature once in that time, and it went down quickly. We've eased her congestion with a karvol plug in and olbas oil, but she's been coughing at night on and off for weeks. I mentioned it to the GP who listened to her chest last week and said it was OK, and to try a chest rub (which I did). We sometimes give kalpol but don't want to give it every day. Anyway, now she's coughing quite a bit in the day time too and they mentioned it at nursery today. She doesn't seem ill in herself, but I don't know if we can try anything else? and what are the triggers for getting medical attention again?
Could it be asthma or is she too young?
Can you give a baby cough mixture?

whomovedmychocolate Fri 29-Oct-10 19:46:17

They don't diagnose asthma in the under twos. Does she wheeze or just cough. It could be allergies. Try vacuuming her room very often and switch washing powder. She doesn't have a feather pillow or duvet does she?

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 29-Oct-10 19:47:58

Message withdrawn

arcadia96 Fri 29-Oct-10 20:14:03

Thanks Whomovedmychocolate. She has a wooden floor in her room, regularly cleaned, and I don't use washing powder use ecover liquid. No feathers in there. Not wheezy I don't think.
I think DP had asthma as a child though he doesn't now, and he is allergic to cats and has hayfever, but we don't have any pets.
Thanks I think I will go back to the GP next week, though they tend to be a bit dismissive when babies are not 'obviously' ill, I find, and make out you are fussing.
I have heard that babies conceived in Feb/March more likely to get allergies. Am a bit worried that she will sad. Have been hoping it's 'just' a cold but wouldn't go on this long surely?

arcadia96 Fri 29-Oct-10 20:14:31

Sorry thanks too to pixie for your comments and suggestions.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 29-Oct-10 20:20:11

Ah interesting. Our paeds consultant said that because DH and I both had childhood asthma it was likely that DS would too (DD doesn't strangely). Have you tried an ioniser in her room at night?

But it could just be a run of colds. They get about twenty in their first year so pretty much continually they will have one thing or another. It's just the immune system learning.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 29-Oct-10 20:28:19

Message withdrawn

arcadia96 Fri 29-Oct-10 20:56:25

There are a couple of small red patches on her skin but don't seem to be as bad as eczema. I'm getting abit worried now sad.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 29-Oct-10 22:59:49

Message withdrawn

arcadia96 Sun 05-Dec-10 10:47:34

Well she's twelve months now and she's had a really bad virus the last week and is on antibiotics as well but the cough is worsening again, day and night (really bad at night). A couple of times she has coughed herself sick in her cot, poor baby. I don't know what to do. We aren't getting much sleep, needless to say. I'm worried sick.
We have even been to A&E last week because of her virus (GP sent us) but they are saying the cough is probably due to nasal drip. Is there anything you can do about that?
She's not wheezy but I'll try anything now. I have an asthma inhaler thing for her now. When would be the best time to try it, bed time? Will it distress her? Can you use it several times a day or night?

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 05-Dec-10 11:06:40

Message withdrawn

arcadia96 Sun 05-Dec-10 13:21:08

Thanks pixie yes I have got a mask to use with it. I'll let her have a bit of a play with it then try it when she's dozy/sleepy. She's not quite old enough for bribery yet, she doesn't understand!

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 05-Dec-10 13:58:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now