Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox- please help!

(13 Posts)
onadietcokebreak Mon 04-Oct-10 22:36:53

Any advice or tips on coping with Chicken pox. My 3yo DS is pickled in it.

We have pirton syrup. NHS direct say they dont recommend calamine lotion.

I havent shown DS a mirror for fear of upsetting him and also think if he sees them he may want to pick them.

I am also worried as he has lots by his eyes.

5inthebed Mon 04-Oct-10 22:47:31

There isn't much you can do for chicken pox I'm afraid. Piriton and calpol work well, and it's been a few years, but I used nipple cream on the spots which helped the itching.

If he has any on his willy it might hurt him so be prepard to wash it when he goes to the toilet. DS2 was in nappied when he had the pox and woud scream when he wet himself.

Hope he feels better soon, once the spots start drying out he will feel a bit more normal.

PotKettleBlack Mon 04-Oct-10 22:48:52

why do NHS not recommend calamine?? aqueous calamine is brilliant, you can slather it on, it's cooling and doesn't go all dry like the pink lotion you have to dab on with cotton wool.

you definitely need to avoid him picking the scabs, they will scar. not sure about ones near eyes, perhaps call your GP in the morning?

MWestie Mon 04-Oct-10 22:48:55

My 3 year old had bad chicken pox in June so can totally sympathise. We used Virasoothe gel instead of calamine lotion, which helped to cool his skin and with the itching. Also wrapped a big handful of oats in muslin and tied to the tap when running his bath, then squeezed it out on to him, bicarb in the bath also helped. Watch out for any spots very near his eyes, DS had bad one on his lower eyelid and GP recommended we take him to eye casualty clinic to be on the safe side - they gave him antiviral eyedrops for it. Oh and Piriton helped too.

onadietcokebreak Mon 04-Oct-10 23:15:54

Thanks guys.

Yes he has them on his willy....its heartbreaking but hes being really good.
I have calamine Cream which I will crack open if need be....sod NHS direct they dont know everything.

Will try and call GP in morning. I am at Uni tomorrow and DP is looking after DS- but as he is not dad he cant ring or take him to hospital. Any suggestions on how we can get around that (apart from not going Uni - which I really need to do!)

Anyones child see themself in mirror? Trying to keep DS away from bedroom one in case it upsets him!

Kewcumber Mon 04-Oct-10 23:22:02

you can give people who don't have parental responsibility permission, to make medical decisions for your child on your behalf. Thast fmr our school.

Just a letter to give him saying he has your permission to make any treatments deicsions for DS with some proof of your and his ID.

BagAndShoeLady Mon 04-Oct-10 23:28:45

Aqueous cream with calamine lotion - you get it ready prepared in a pot quite cheaply from the chemist. Put it in the fridge it is extra soothing put it on regularly he shouldn't itch at all. my daughter was sad when the chicken pox went. She was searching for them in her bed lol.

GraceK Mon 04-Oct-10 23:39:50

Don't ask if it itches or mention itching. DD1 (& 3 friends) had it at 18 months and they only picked at the spots they could see. Seemed genuinely surprised when you took their clothes off for a bath / get changed.

mrsfollowill Mon 04-Oct-10 23:50:53

My DS had this at 4 (I had it two weeks later at 34 but that is a whole different thread!)
Eurax cream kept in the fridge was very soothing - Calamine seemed to make it worse for us both. Ds also delighted himself counting the spots. For the record he had 204! Still remember 4 years later. I would also contact GP if spots round eyes are a problem and send written permission with DP. Sometimes it looks worse than it is. Good luck!

Emma54 Thu 07-Oct-10 20:44:19

Definitely aqueous calamine and not the liquid one. That with piriton should help. Poor little thing.

Bernie8 Fri 08-Oct-10 00:05:30

Definitely recommend half tub sodium bicarbonate dissolved in a not too hot bath twice a day to help ease the itching. Also try not to let him get too warm when sleeping and make sure clothes, etc don't rub on spots if possible. Good luck!

onadietcokebreak Fri 08-Oct-10 01:20:24

Thanks guys. He has been so good with the spots and not itching them!

We have moved onto ear ache now. Went Docs as he was screaming- no infection-they are clear. She mentioned something about behind ear and said the ibuprofen would help.

He has just sweated through his pillow so just woken up to change that and do medicine.

ChalfontMumof2 Fri 10-Dec-10 19:32:46

My DS who is 3 had first spots this morning. I have all the above but also been given something for the bath Aveeno Baby Soothing Bath treatment which is good for nappy rash, Eczema and Chicken Pox. Can't get in shops need to order of www. Assoftas

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: