Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

sicky baby or reflux?

(5 Posts)
hophophippidtyhop Fri 10-Sep-10 14:57:28

DD, five weeks, tends to be sick if you lay her down, and especially after feeding. I have been keeping her upright after feeds for about 20 minutes, she has a cot wedge, and I've been changing her bum before feeds, she was sick but not too much. doctor didn't think she had reflux. Last couple of days though, she has been sick despite all these measures and quite a lot. No projectile, but it looks like most of a feed. Sometimes she arches her back after a feed, but not during. Can it be mild reflux if there's sick but no projectile stuff,and she feeds ok, no bobbing on and off? I've just fed her, she's spewed what looks like most of it back up, now has the hiccups and is still hungry!

Pioneer Fri 10-Sep-10 16:23:22

Sounds like it might be, but there is no real way of knowing for sure.

There are lots of really supportive threads on here if you do a search for reflux.

hophophippidtyhop Fri 10-Sep-10 21:14:53

That's the thing, the doctor seemed to be one of those that unless it was projectile, it wasn't reflux. Think I'd rather come across as a paranoid parent and be wrong than leave it when I could possibly be doing something to make her more comfortable. Surely there must be levels of reflux, eh?

Pioneer Fri 10-Sep-10 21:42:50

TBH that sounds like a load of nonsense to me because one of my friends sons had silent reflux, where he was not sick at all.

There are definitely levels of reflux.

My ds was very sick a lot, but didn't seem to be in too much discomfort, so he didn't require medication, only Gaviscon but a lot of posters on here have their dc's on various meds.

Anyway I thought I would just list some of the things that helped soothe my ds:

Switching from BF to bottles - contraversial I know, but my ds was overfeeding on the breast, which can make reflux worse. With bottles I could monitor the intake.

Nutramigen formula plus Gaviscon - almost instant change

Baby swing - I have a Fisher Price rainforest one that goes back and forth as well as side to side - I found that the side to side motion was much more effective - he would sleep for 3 hours - bliss!

Cranial osteopathy - only went once but it really helped with releasing a lot of wind and poo!

Baby massage and yoga - he used to fall asleep in the class.

Dummy - again, contraversial but worked for us.

Hairdryer/fan/white noise - used to stop the crying and soothe him to sleep.

Wrapping him up warm/swaddling - must have made him feel secure/relaxed.

hophophippidtyhop Sat 11-Sep-10 07:13:14

Thanks for the list, ironically we've started to give her a bottle of expressed milk at around midnight, dp feeds her so i can get extra sleep, and he says she's never sick with the bottle!
I've started giving a dummy, which she's starting to take, it helps with settling down after a feed. She feeds about every two hours, which helps to stop her gulp too much at once.
she doesn't seem half as bad as some babies I've read about on here, which is why I wonder whether I've just got a puky one this time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now