Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for books to keep and re-read?

(4 Posts)
MrsMalcolmTucker Wed 04-Nov-09 20:36:49

My sister died suddenly earlier this year, and when we were sorting out her stuff, we found some book tokens. Her partner and I thought it might be a nice idea to spend them on books for her nephews and neices. I wanted to buy books that they could keep and re-read as a reminder of her but I'm feeling a bit stuck.

We have:

DNephew aged 9
DNiece aged 6
My DD aged 4
My DS aged 6 months - I was thinking of a nice Winnie the Pooh collection for him; what do you think?

Can you help at all? Have you got any books that you have kept from childhood? Or ones that meant something to you?

Any help gratefully received. I am having to go offline in a minute but I will check back in as soon as I can. Thank you very much in advance.

JANEITEluddite Wed 04-Nov-09 20:40:59

So sorry about your sister.

My DD aged 4 - a lovely copy of Alice In Wonderland - Helen Oxenbury's illustrated one is yummy OR a gorgeous fairy tale collection

My DS aged 6 months - Winnie the Pooh collection sounds lovely / or some Beatrix Potter / or a Mother Goose collection

DNephew aged 9 - Swallows And Amazons? An encyclopedia? An atlas?

DNiece aged 6 - Ballet Shoes - or Alice In Wonderland - or The Secret Garden

henryhuggins Wed 04-Nov-09 20:53:36

what a lovely idea.

why not let the parents of the kids decide?

MrsMalcolmTucker Thu 05-Nov-09 20:30:05

Thanks for the suggestions Janeiteluddite - never thought of the Ballet Shoes series, but this is so right for my niece. She'd love that.

Henryhuggins - it's partly for my children, and for my niece and nephew. My brother's not a big reader so he's asked me for suggestions - but I'm feeling a bit blank!

Anyone else got any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now