Talk

Advanced search

Ds1 like Horrid Hentry books, what else would he like?

(17 Posts)
colditz Sun 18-Oct-09 11:56:18

Ds1 is 6 and his reading is quite good. He is sucking up Horrid Henry books, but I'm struggling to get him to try anything else. He has The Enormous Crocodile, and Cinderboy, and The Magic Finger - what else?

UndeadLentil Sun 18-Oct-09 12:03:28

You could try the Jeremy Strong books.

Flat Stanley is good too.

Roddy Doyle's The Giggler Treatment is fab too, but might work better as a book that is read to him.

Michael Rosen has that great line about not punishing children for learning to read by stopping reading to them.

All the books I've mentioned have really silly humour and are lots of fun.

bigTillyMint Sun 18-Oct-09 12:05:56

Captain Underpants was a fav with DS when he was 6!

colditz Sun 18-Oct-09 12:06:32

I still read the enormous crocodile to him (the enormous crocodile has acquired a Russian accent, Mugglewump and his family are Indian, and Humpy Rumpy the elephant is a brandy driven blustering 1850's bombardier.)

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 18-Oct-09 12:10:32

Mr Gum! Mr Gum! Mr Gum! He'll love them!
I also second Jeremy Strong.

savoycabbage Sun 18-Oct-09 12:18:03

I have bought the abridged Just William books here for a six year old before.

aWitchForLifeNotJustHalloween Sun 18-Oct-09 12:19:56

Jeremy strong gets another vote here, and has he already 'done' everythin roald dahl?

mimsum Sun 18-Oct-09 19:18:39

Cressida Cowell's Viking books (How to tame a dragon etc ) went down fabulously with our Horrid Henry-loving son

JeffVadar Mon 19-Oct-09 11:15:20

Another vote for the Hiccup books and Mr Gum!

Also the Jiggy McCue books by Michael Lawrence were a big hit in our household.

seeker Mon 19-Oct-09 11:19:06

Beast Quest. And more Beast Quest!

Be careful of Roald Dahl - my ds was absolutely traumatized by some of them at a similar age.

Famous Five (I hate Enid Blyton almost as much as I hate Horrid Henry, but hey ho!)

And keep reading aloud, often and for as long as he lets you!

Inghouls2 Mon 19-Oct-09 11:20:44

Is he reading HH easily colditz? or are there still words he has to sound out?

mrsflowerpot Mon 19-Oct-09 11:23:53

Astrosaurs? Second Mr Gum, and Captain Underpants. Also Jack Stalwart (spy boy with lots of gadgets).

colditz Mon 19-Oct-09 11:24:56

I think he's still sounding out but I don't know, because he's reading them 'in his head'. I think he would struggle with anything significantly harder or longer though.

Rafi Mon 19-Oct-09 11:26:18

Absolutely Jeremy Strong - especially the My Brother's Famous Bottom series - & Hiccup.

mrsflowerpot Mon 19-Oct-09 11:27:04

Mr Gum is great for reading aloud, especially if you're not averse to doing funny accents.

Inghouls2 Mon 19-Oct-09 12:18:40

in that case I would say
Jack Stalwart
Magic Tree House
Dirty Bertie
These are at the same level as HH or slightly easier (Magic Tree House)
Don't make the mistake I did... Ds2 was reading well at 6, so I pushed him forwards and put him off... Get him really confident at this level first...
BTW I wouldn't recommend Mr Gum for 6.

Snorbs Mon 19-Oct-09 12:35:21

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney was, and still is, a favourite of my DS along with the others mentioned here - Jiggy McCue, Captain Underpants, Hiccup, and Jeremy Strong's books.

I agree with mrsflowerpot that the Mr Gum books are great fun to read out loud for a bedtime story as are the Hiccup books grin

My DS was no fan of the Beast Quest books, though. Neither was I to be honest - they're not quite as poorly written as the Rainbow Fairies books but they're not far off...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now