Talk

Advanced search

Classics for dd aged 6- chapter books

(22 Posts)
Bucharest Wed 14-Oct-09 10:42:54

Just finished Carbonel (she loved, and have ordered sequels) and we're on the Starlight Barking....(have Narnia and the Little Prince lined up)

Am putting in my bi-monthly mega Amazon order, what other "classic" chapter books would you recommend for this age group? Obviously we have a house full of flowerfairymagicrainbowpinksparkly books, but she is also loving these more old-fashioned "wordy" books.

Ta muchly!

mrsruffallo Wed 14-Oct-09 10:44:17

DD loves The Worst Witch books. The Secret Garden is another favourite

Bucharest Wed 14-Oct-09 10:50:01

Oh goody- I put the Worst Witch in my basket already, and had looked at SG but wasn't sure if it was too old for dd...will go and lob that in as well!

mrsruffallo Wed 14-Oct-09 11:06:25

Usborne do a lovely classics for girls collection, Bucharest. DD adores it.
I t has abridged versions of The Railway Children, Black Beauty, The Secret Garden, Heidi, Little Women and The Wizard of Oz.
May be easier than getting them all separately!

Sourdough Wed 14-Oct-09 11:08:07

My DD loves The Magic Faraway Tree and its associated stories. They have been tweaked slighly for modern readers if you find Enid Blyton a bit hmm you needn't be put off.

seeker Wed 14-Oct-09 11:08:42

As read-alouds or read-on-your-own?

Poledra Wed 14-Oct-09 11:09:44

We're also on the way through The Enchanted Wood at the mo, with The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of the Faraway Tree ready to follow. DD1 (5.5) loves them.

Bucharest Wed 14-Oct-09 11:13:14

Read alouds, seeker. She is just starting to s-l-o-w-l-y read alone- and we're limiting that to ORT readers and such like...

Of course, I'd forgotten Enid Blyton! We read Mr Meddle (bloody awful it was) at Christmas, I picked it up in a charity shop- she loved it.....hmm

fircone Wed 14-Oct-09 11:15:27

Dd aged 6 loves Little House on the Prairie and Milly Molly Mandy.

seeker Wed 14-Oct-09 11:16:50

Oh in that case, I know lots - my dd LOVED this sort of book at this age!

Particular favourites were Noel Stretfield (Ballet Shoes and so on) and Arthur Ransome. She also loved Little Women. And all the Enid Blyton school stories.

Bramshott Wed 14-Oct-09 11:19:05

I've just started reading Heidi to DD1 (7 in Jan). She seems to be really enjoying it, although it is quite 'wordy'. She's keen that we read Black Beauty but I remeber that as being too sad!

Sourdough Wed 14-Oct-09 11:22:38

Lauren Child also did a beautifully-illustrated book of Pippi Longstocking which is gorgeous.

Sourdough Wed 14-Oct-09 11:25:17

and you can look in it, too

Takver Thu 15-Oct-09 09:32:07

We've just read Martin Pippin in the Daisy Field (just the individual stories). DD loved it and the stories are just the right length for bedtime (although some of them make me cry cos I'm sentimental that way).

The Princess and the Goblin is next on our list.

midnightexpress Thu 15-Oct-09 09:37:13

When I was on holiday recently, the house had copies of a couple of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books - Little House in the Big Woods (?) and a few others, which I started reading and they were fabulous: full of bears, sledges, and maple syrup tapping. I have (younger) boys so haven't tried them out yet, but my cousin has read them to her girls, who are 7 and nearly 6 and they loved them. I think there are quite a few of them.

Poledra Thu 15-Oct-09 09:40:09

Oh yes midnight express, there's about 8 of them, and I loved them when I was young. The last one (The First Four Years) is probably for an older child but the others would fit well.

cazzybabs Fri 16-Oct-09 21:28:29

we have just read Rumor godden - the dolls house -lovely book

janeite Fri 16-Oct-09 21:32:50

Milly Molly Mandy - although my two barbarian children failed to properly appreciate her.

Dp also read them the first couple of Harry Potters at this age.

spudmasher Fri 16-Oct-09 21:34:08

My dds both really love My Naughty Little Sister series- Dorothy Edwards

MedusaHead Fri 16-Oct-09 21:36:16

My DD is 5.2 and I am reading her the Faraway Tree at the mo and she loves it. It is the first "non-picture" book I have read to her and she says she doesn't need pictures as she "has a television in her head". Just watching her face as I'm reading is great. Every emotion is played out.

I have got her "The Little House in the Big Woods" for Christmas and I think she'll really love that too.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 18-Oct-09 18:20:09

Speaking of Rumer Godden, The Fairy Doll is a great one for Christmas. And Miss Happiness and Miss Flower is lovely.

MrsMagnolia Mon 19-Oct-09 19:52:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now