Talk

Advanced search

Best nursery rhymes, fairy tales and bedtime story books.....any recommendations??

(14 Posts)
llynnnn Sat 10-Oct-09 08:09:20

I'm looking for a couple of books for my nieces 1st Christmas. Ideally would like books that have classic/lovely stories and rhymes in that she can 'grow in to' as she gets older, but that also has lovely pictures in that she will enjoy looking at now!

Do these books exist? which are the best?

Thanks in advance!

llynnnn Sat 10-Oct-09 09:44:16

anyone?

llynnnn Sat 10-Oct-09 19:47:55

no one?

thaliablogs Sat 10-Oct-09 22:58:07

We have this one, although I think 1 is too young for it, she can grow into it. DD is 2 and we read from it almost every day now.

llynnnn Mon 12-Oct-09 07:34:57

thank you thaliablogs

Laugs Mon 12-Oct-09 07:43:15

The books of classic stories definitely exist, but I don't have one to recommend. I'd go for a look in Waterstone's and see which illustrations you like best, that feels like it's good quality and will last for years etc.

I think it's a really nice idea.

Also bear in mind that many 1 year-olds are more into turning the pages than listening to a full story, so you could also get her a traditional baby book with nice pictures - something like Peepo by Janet and Allan Ahlberg is an absolute classic, with beautiful illustrations and a strong rhyme. We all know if off by heart in this house.

Then she'd have something for now and something for later IYSWIM.

FernieB Mon 12-Oct-09 19:31:27

Shirley Barbers fairy story books are lovely and the illustrations are wonderful. However, 1 is a little young for these. Try Shirley Hughes - Alfie and Annie Rose stories - these are brilliant - I love them still.

A 1 yo will really just like bright pictures. I agree with Laugs, get her something for now and something to grow into.

vesela Mon 12-Oct-09 21:01:22

Another vote for Lavender's Blue. DD loved it from about 18 months on.

midnightexpress Tue 13-Oct-09 20:32:37

Oh I was just coming on to ask something similar - I want to get the DSs a book of classic fairy tales - the Three little Pigs, GOldilocks, Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, all that stuff. We keep reading stories that refer obliquely to them, like 'Mr Wolf's Pancakes' but I realise we don't have any of the actual stories except in grown-up editions without pictures. They are nearly 4 and nearly(ish) 3.

Does anyone have any recommendations? (sorry if I'm hijacking llynnnn)

abgirl Tue 13-Oct-09 20:38:00

M&S do a collection of fairy stories that are similiar to ladybird books, they are normally on 3 for 2 and have lovely pictures. DSs really like them and they are the traditional stories (rather than modern versions).

spicybingowings Tue 13-Oct-09 20:53:03

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Guess How much I love you

Farmyard boogie.

All card books so great for little ones and the first two are lovely stories.

spicybingowings Tue 13-Oct-09 20:53:05

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Guess How much I love you

Farmyard boogie.

All card books so great for little ones and the first two are lovely stories.

spicybingowings Tue 13-Oct-09 20:53:28

whoops!

llynnnn Tue 13-Oct-09 22:22:44

thanks for all your replies. realise she is too young to really enjoy these stories now, but think it will be nice to have for as she gets older (and a good reminder for my sister of these stories and rhymes!!)

think i will get a traditional book and a baby-friendly book too though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now