Talk

Advanced search

So my 10 year old who hates to read....well......found another series he is addicted to....

(31 Posts)
KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 13:45:38

First it was the Anthony Horowitz ones. He devoured those.

We tried those young james bond ones. underwhelmed. then cupid or whatever they're called, ho hum.

Now it's Darren Shah. Demonata. He is flying through them. I'm having to BEG the library to take them off of hold for someone who hasn't shown up that SECOND to collect and have even resorted to buying some.

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 13:47:46

Are they for an advanced 10 year old though?

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 13:49:44

don't know.... are they? they seem rather easy reads.

he's 11 in a couple of months so maybe that makes a difference.

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 13:50:26

i thought he'd think the Darren Shah ones were too scary. I mean ffs. I read the first one and it was a bit, hmm, MUCH. but he LOVES it.

I've a goth in the making i suspect...

roisin Sun 27-Sep-09 13:52:34

It's great when they get hooked on something and really get stuck into reading, isn't it?

caykon Sun 27-Sep-09 13:52:53

my dss does not do reading. But he has also been addicted to the Darren shan Demonata.
Might read them myself and find out what the fuss is about grin

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 13:54:52

it is roisin cause I LOVED to read when i was his age. I mean it's all I did. And I even wrote my own stories.

are boy's minds just wired differently?

What is it with all the violence and blood and guts and HELL!

stitchtime Sun 27-Sep-09 13:54:54

kerry, i have some darren shans in .... bated breath.... hardback!!
he begged me. he has never before begged me for a book. how could i not get it?

corn, they are bot particularly brillinat books. not particularly well written or thought through. but i dont care. they are books, and he wanted to read them.

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 13:55:36

exactly stitch!

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 13:56:01

has he tried the anthony horowitz ones yet?

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 13:57:04

Might give them a go then. My ds1 doesn't do reading and I've never found anything that he'll read by himself yet. <exasperated>

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 13:57:58

I loved reading at that age as well Kerry. Ds2 loves it as well. Ds1 has dh's genes I think!

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 13:59:10

the subject matter is a bit scary I thought but for some reason ds LOVES it. I mean in the first one the kid's family is eviscerated by demons. In some detail. I was shock

but he loves it.

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 14:00:01

has he tried the Anthony Horowitz series?

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 14:03:12

Which one do I start with then? There's a few on Amazon. Are they too scary for 8 year olds? Ds1 usually persuades ds2 to read his books to him at bed time!

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 14:05:25

I'd say definitely too scary for 8 year olds. Werewolves, demons, death, blood and guts, the lot.

The first one is called Lord Loss. Get one only. See how it goes.

What about Anthony Horowitz? ds1 ate those up as well...

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 14:07:29

He bought one of Anthony Horowitz home from school so we're gong to have a try with it. He'll expect me to read it to him though. hmm not just one blinking chapter either - I'll be there for an hour. Will order that Lord Loss and see what happens.

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 14:08:39

found This

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 14:09:17

Think you have to read the horowitz ones in order? unsure.

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 14:09:58

and btw ds1 read the horowitz books TWICE and when we were in Italy and he only had Lord Loss, he read that twice as well shock

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 14:11:30

ooo nice link - sounds good!
Just checked it's a Malorie Blackman that he has - doh!

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 14:12:18

Will have to hide it from ds2 - he's like a reading machine.

overweightnoverdrawn Sun 27-Sep-09 14:44:27

just ordered the Lord loss one . Thanks for the heads up . Can you tell me what is the next book in the series . I ordered it fom amazon good price .

CNyle Sun 27-Sep-09 14:49:48

cherub
cherub , mine loved

janeite Sun 27-Sep-09 14:54:57

Do you mean Darren Shan?

Deffo too scary for eight year olds - they are really quite gory. Not brilliantly written but they do serve a useful function of encouraging reluctant boys to read.

The Malorie Blackman one about Nightmares is quite different to the 'norm' of kid's horror and maybe not quite so gripping for that reason. I think she's lost her touch a bit tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now