Talk

Advanced search

Brilliant books for boys aged 5-ish

(13 Posts)
2to3 Tue 22-Sep-09 20:40:55

I'd like some recommendations for outstandingly excellent books that your 5-year-olds LOVE - especially recent ones, but please do mention any that have been particular hits with your DCs (and why!). Thanks!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 22-Sep-09 20:43:50

I have a DD not a DS, but she loved at five and still loves now (just turned 7) Mr Gum by Andy Stanton. Most of her other favourites are more girl-oriented, but boy or girl you can't go wrong with Mr Gum.
She also likes Horrid Henry very much. And Seriously Silly Stories.

MilaMae Tue 22-Sep-09 23:13:23

My twin boys 5 love The Mungo books by Timothy Knapman(fantastic), Simon Bartram books(fantastic), Oliver Jeffers books(fantastic). I thought The Pencil and The Stick Man were good.

They are now reading The Magic Tree house,Jeremy Strong,Dinosaur Cove,Roald Dahl,Flat Stanley, Horrid Henry which they enjoy.

Just got given Bat Loves the Night which was a hit from the Nature Story books by Walker-super. They loved Beware of the Froghmmvery good.

treacletart Tue 22-Sep-09 23:20:14

The Mr Gum books are hilarious

iheartdusty Tue 22-Sep-09 23:27:32

yes yes Mr Gum.

my 5 yr old DS loves Captain Underpants. I think they are a bit silly and repetitive. That's probably why he likes them.

he also enjoys Hilda Offen's stuff, esp her Rita the Rescuer books.

and Jack Stalwart and his amazing adventures all round the world. Can't remember the author.

clare21 Sat 26-Sep-09 22:01:22

My 5 year old twin son likes:

Magic Treehouse - he devoured the lot and they really set him off on his road to reading. He finished them in March, and tonight got the box out to have another look at them all.

Now Anne Fine's Killer Cat.

Jack Stalwart.

Some of Dahl - James and Giant Peach, George's M Medicine, Fantastic Mr Fox.

He just hasn't 'got' Mr gUM - but I love the look of those books.

BettyBubble Sat 26-Sep-09 22:03:29

DS loved the Cornelia Funke Ghosthunters series when he was 4-5. They were just the right level of scariness and fun for him.

Then again, he likes most books.

Personally, I can't be doing with Mr Gum, and Horrid Henry is officially banned in our house!

SleepingLion Sat 26-Sep-09 22:06:44

I probably couldn't recommend them as outstandingly excellent in a literary sense but DS (6) loves the Beast Quest series and has devoured them - he enjoys the fantasy, quest element of them. He also romps through Horrid Henry and Flat Stanley. Teddy Robinson, which I originally read to him, has been one he has returned to again and again to read for himself - can thoroughly recommend that. He likes the simplicity and the gentle humour of it.

I have just ordered the Jack Stalwart ones from Book People so look there if you're interested.

BettyBubble Sat 26-Sep-09 22:09:42

Oh yes, Beast Quest. DS loves them, though they're the same old stuff every time (and not desperately well written). Billy Bonkers is very good.

tummytickler Sat 26-Sep-09 22:10:48

I don't think i am saying anything new here, but my ds loves Beast Quest books, also Horrid Henry and Roald Dahl.
He mostly like non fiction though, especially on space, dinosours and volcanoes!

colditz Sat 26-Sep-09 22:12:57

Aliens Love Underpants
the Enormous crocodile
Mr Men books
Naughty Amelia Jane (she is PROPER OLD SKOOL naughty, no moralising there! She doesn't hardly ever see the error of her ways, usually she gloats. NAJ is awesome.)

choosyfloosy Sat 26-Sep-09 22:17:12

ds loooooves the Hiccup series by Cressida Cowell, though the audio CDs are better than the books so we tend to stick to those blush

thanks for this thread as it's just what we need too

Niecie Sat 26-Sep-09 22:20:05

DS2 only turned 6 last week but he has loved the Humphrey the Hampster books in the last year.

He also likes Lara the Spydog books my 9 yr old likes them too so they might be a bit old for some.

Roald Dahl goes without saying but not Mathilda - both of my two have been frightened by that one.

Lots of the Jeremy Strong books like the Indoor Pirates.

Sir Gadabout books are fab. Even I love them but nobody else seems to have heard of them except for us, despite me mentioning them on all these threads.

DS2 loves animals and likes the Animal Rescue books about a vet and her children who live in an animal rescue hospital.

I also bought him a small set of Michael Murpurgo books about animals which looks about right for their age. Haven't read them yet but he was the Children's Laureate so hopefully they are good - these here

Finally his friend has been waxing lyrical about the Astrosaurs books so we have got one of those to read soon. Look the sort of thing that small boys love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now