Talk

Advanced search

Books for a 5 year old girl please?

(6 Posts)
Marne Mon 14-Sep-09 18:06:21

Hi my dd1 is a fluent reader and is currently trying to read 'Utterly Me' by Clarice Bean.

The trouble is, my dd1 has Aspergers, her reading is great but her understandings not level with her reading skills.

Can anyone recommend any books which are easy to follow/understand?

Marne Mon 14-Sep-09 18:19:45

Oops, ment 'utterly me, clarice bean, by Lauren Child.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 14-Sep-09 19:12:09

My Naughty Little Sister has been a great favourite with all of mine - either Book People or Red House has the set on offer at the moment too.
The Mr Gum books are good, but very silly - so it depends on whether she could cope with the sheer level of nonsense involved which can be a problem for those children who interpret things literally.
The Daisy books by Nick Sharrat are good and also Junie B Jones, a kind of modern American Naughty Little Sister.

Marne Mon 14-Sep-09 19:54:10

She would like 'silly' as she takes things literally grin, i will have a look at Mr gum, thank you.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 14-Sep-09 21:07:41

If she likes silly, there are also the Seriously Silly stories and something called Too Ghoul for School (also on offer at Book People atm I think) which my very silly DD and her very silly boyfriend like. (They are 7 but the books would be fine for a 5 year old good reader I think.)

usernametaken Mon 14-Sep-09 22:04:57

"Daisy and the trouble with...." books by Kes Gray. My DD laughed her way through these!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now