Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Birthday present request

(11 Posts)

This sounds easy, but I cannot think of anything.
Could anyone help me with adventure stories for a 10 year old girl- not fantasy, not historical, not Jackie Wilson (read already)- sort of like a modern Enid Blyton (best bits anyway). I need half a dozen or so to post to a child living in Germany. Thanks.

Grandhighpoohba Fri 28-Aug-09 09:58:03

Helen Creswell, Bagthorpes series. First one is Ordinary Jack, 2nd, Absolute Zero, Then (I think) Bagthorpes V the World. Very funny, about a disfunctional family of geniuses. I read them at about that age. Think theres about 8 in the series, and think you can still get them, Amazon might be your best bet.

Bink Sat 29-Aug-09 16:03:36

I think if you look through Michael Morpugo's enormous output you will find some good options - some of his are historical, but not all.

Thank you Bink, and GHPB. I shall Amazon Morpugho and Cresswell. Anyone else?

Takver Sun 30-Aug-09 09:15:54

Ruling out fantasy & historical is what makes it hard I think. Otherwise I would have suggested the Wolves of Willoughby Chase sequence - there's about 10 of them, and they're really good adventures - but being set in an alternative past probably makes them both fantasy and historical!

Bink Sun 30-Aug-09 11:17:08

Yes, absolutely, it's the contemporary/everyday setting that is difficult. I was thinking of the Nancy Drew stories, as well - but I haven't ever read those & can't say whether they're good.

Ds (who's 10) is reading Robert Westall (a wonderful writer, and not well enough known - I'd recommend him to anyone - though, reservation, he can be Spooky) at the moment, but most of his have historical settings as well (often WWI/WWII).

BonsoirAnna Sun 30-Aug-09 11:21:33

My DSSs devoured the Anthony Horovitz Alex Rider series at that age.

Thanks, hadn't thought of Horovitz and I know she's seen the film. She has already read (or at least I have sent) Anne Fine, Joan Aiken, Philippa Pearce, what I call the modern classics and isn't really ready for Louise Rennison etc yet. I am now trying to think of pony/dog/school stories with a 21st Century setting.
I agree about Robert Westall, if he wrote the Machine Gunners (I think he did) but think it might be a bit too old at the moment. As is David Almond.

Bink Sun 30-Aug-09 15:35:14

Machine Gunners is what ds is reading smile

iheartdusty Mon 31-Aug-09 20:44:02

what about annie bryant's Beacon Street Girls series?

I haven't read these but was investigating for DD

UniS Sat 19-Sep-09 21:10:21

I've read one of the "sleep over club" series, and think it fits your needs. I'm also looking for that kind of book , teh parcel I just sent had "the family from one end street" by eve garnett, "Dear Olly"Morpurgo, and "katy's exmoor" can;t remember who by.
I think I'll try Swallows and Amazons for christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now