Talk

Advanced search

Stories about Cats

(41 Posts)
usernametaken Thu 27-Aug-09 10:30:38

DD is a huge cat fan. We seem to be exhausting the library of their books about cats.

She is currently about to finish 'The cat who wanted to go home' by Jill Tomlinson. She has read a cat series by Linda Newbery so is now on the look out for more cat themed books.

She picked up 'Warrior Cats' recently but it was far over her head...I did try and tell her it was too old hmm.

So, what can you recommend for a cat obsessed loving girl?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 27-Aug-09 10:36:15

How old is she? The Magic Kitten series is popular for 5-8 year olds.
My 9 year old DD loved Michael Morpurgo's book about a cat who lives at the Savoy hotel.
There is the Orlando the Marmalade Cat series, which I thoroughly recommend if it is not out of print.
Gobbolino the Witches Cat by Phillipa Pearce.

Takver Thu 27-Aug-09 20:32:14

What about Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh? Would probably appeal from age 7-8 ish.
If younger, several of the animal ark books are cat themed (Kitten Crowd plus others)

usernametaken Fri 28-Aug-09 10:27:20

She tried Magic Kitten about 6 months ago but the stories contained things that she knew nothing about then e.g. sleepovers, school etc so she struggled to relate to some of the text. She could be ready to try those again now though.

I shall look out for Orlando, I've never heard of him before but searching on amazon shows he could be perfect!

I remember reading Gobbolino as a child, brilliant idea!

She loves the Animal Ark books and has read a few of them, I need to search out a few more.

Many thanks for your suggestions, I feel a large purchasing order coming on!

GentleOtter Fri 28-Aug-09 10:39:32

My children loved Six Lives of Fankle the Cat - George Mackay Brown

GentleOtter Fri 28-Aug-09 10:41:09

Not Mackay the butcher in Lybster. <mortified>

OrmIrian Fri 28-Aug-09 10:43:03

Jenny by Paul Gallico. Might be a bit old for her but worth a go.

Agree with Takver about Carbonel - recently unearthed my old copy of Kingdom of Carbonel and DD and DS#1 loved it.

lepirate Fri 28-Aug-09 10:52:43

My dd is cat obsessed too, it rules her every waking hour.

We just finished a really funny book called

Daisy and the trouble with kittens. it is a paperback, and it's the same character as the Daisy books ('really really','eat your peas')

have you read The 3 legged cat here, it's brilliant, and a fave from the library.

'Mousehole Cat' by Antonia Barber is brilliant as is 'Cat on the Hill' by Michael Forman.

JennyWasAFriendOfMine Fri 28-Aug-09 11:22:23

I would second the Daisy book

usernametaken Fri 28-Aug-09 11:44:03

DD has just read all the Daisy books in just over a week- they are excellent! She is now eagerly awaiting the next one due out in October!

The Mousehole Cat is just a beautiful book, I loved the illustrations in it. We've had the 'Cat on the Hill' out several times now, again a beautiful book. The Fankle Cat looks great too. The '3 legged cat' is a fun book, we own it, it lives in the 'cat book' pile!

I just looked at Carbonel- possibly a bit old for her at the moment- she isn't quite 4½yrs old yet, but worth adding to the list in a few years if the cat obession is still there!

I feel a trip to Borders this afternoon coming on!

Goblinchild Fri 28-Aug-09 12:37:16

If she's 4 1/2, I suppose you've done Mog?

juneybean Fri 28-Aug-09 12:39:42

Hmm one for the future as it's more words than pictures; James Herriot's Cat Stories

Goblinchild Fri 28-Aug-09 12:41:09

Herriot wrote 6 Dinner Sid, didn't he?

juneybean Fri 28-Aug-09 12:46:30

Ooo I have no idea lol I

Iklboo Fri 28-Aug-09 12:51:46

DS is obsessed with a Ladybird book that used to belong to his uncle (who is now 42) called Smoke & Fluff. It's written in verse about 2 naughty kittens and he's made me read it that many bloody times I know it practically off by heart!

Goblinchild Fri 28-Aug-09 12:52:31

I got it wrong, it was Inga Moore. It's a lovely book about a cat with 6 different homes and personalities until he's found out.

Slinky Malinki by Lynley Dodd, in rhyme and about a kleptomaniac cat. Lovely illustrations.

juneybean Fri 28-Aug-09 12:56:23

Ooo talking of Lynley Dodd, the Hairy Mclary books are good but perhaps a bit young for a 4.5 year old

IdrisTheDragon Fri 28-Aug-09 12:57:57

I have a nearly 4 year old cat obsessed DD - we also have a cat book pile and at bedtime she nearly always needs at least one "cat book smile)

Goblinchild Fri 28-Aug-09 13:01:55

If you analyse Hairy Maclary, Dodd uses synonyms, rhymes, similies,irregular spelling patterns and some good vocabulary. I'd happily use them with older children

Goblinchild Fri 28-Aug-09 13:05:50

And just to sidetrack 'All cats have asperger syndrome' is a lovely book, beautiful cat photos and a single sentence on each page.
If your children are coming int contact with a child on the spectrum, it's one of the easiest books to help them understand why the ASD child is different to them.

lepirate Fri 28-Aug-09 13:42:00

oh yes the Mousehole Cat is a gorgeous book, I agree, the illustrations are stunning.

There is another paperback about a cat who lives in Devon, is it Adolphius or something.

lepirate Fri 28-Aug-09 13:43:02

dd went as six dinner sid on school book day!!

Dazmum Fri 28-Aug-09 13:44:34

So did my DS about 5 years ago lepirate!

usernametaken Fri 28-Aug-09 16:27:43

LOL- my DD went as Mog for World Book Day!

Six Dinner Sid is a great book- we had 3 copies at one point because all the relatives bought it for her for her birthday! We have all the Mog books including some copies from my childhood.
She has read all the Lynley Dodd books too, they are a lot of fun!

I guess you'd call her an obsessive reader and lover of cats. She found a book called 'Lost in the Storm' today in the bookshop, it is about a kitten...lost in a storm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now