Talk

Advanced search

what is your nearly 10 year old son reading?

(11 Posts)
changenameruk Tue 04-Aug-09 17:51:48

mine will only read football books, football comics,and even football magazines like (four,four,two) first news and non fiction. I am trying to get him back into fiction. Any suggestions?

thank you

whosturnisit Tue 04-Aug-09 18:41:39

Depends on his reading ability. Here are some my DS's read at 9;
Anthony Horowitz the Alex Rider series
Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl
Caroline Lawrence the Roman series

If he's set against fiction maybe you could coax him into reading none fiction that isn't football?
Much as I hate them both my boys had a phase of reading the "Horrible" series.Horrible History, Geography, Science etc. There are hundreds of them. DS2 used to love quoting some obscure fact from them and saying "see mum ,they are educational really"

mooseloose Tue 04-Aug-09 18:51:58

My son not keen on fiction but devours information books on nature and history.

SixtyFootDoll Tue 04-Aug-09 18:55:36

mine loves his Guiness Book of Records
and loves facts about...science books

roses12 Tue 04-Aug-09 18:59:15

my ds loved horrible histories, astrex, wheres wally and definitely no harry potter!

changenameruk Sat 08-Aug-09 09:21:48

thank you. some good suggestions. He is reading age is about a year a head.

I am going to have a look at some of these ideas on amazon.

neversaydie Sun 16-Aug-09 10:17:07

Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo.

There is a good series of more individual books called Kelpies which are either abour Scotland or written by Scottish authors. Catscape is good, as the The Boy with the Bronze Axe.

DS has read all the Harry Potter books, as he is only allowed access to films and games once the book as been read. (I strongly recommend this technique - it got him reading real books!)

And there is always The Beano, which still goes down well with my almost-10-year-old.

lljkk Sun 16-Aug-09 10:25:13

Currently blitzing thru Artemis Fowl.
Still reads Astrosaurs when nobody's watching (his sister's just discovered them).
Asterix comics are still the best ever.
Recently he has liked Robert Weston, Frank Cottrell Bryce, adventure books in general.
There are lots of football-theme fiction books in our local library for this age group, but not for DS as he's not into sports.

neversaydie Sun 16-Aug-09 10:27:25

Horrible Histories and murderous Maths also popular.

hippipotamiHasLost55lbs Sun 16-Aug-09 10:37:47

Ds is nearly 10 (in fact will be 10 tomorrow)
He loves all of the Horrible Histories, Horrible Geographies and Horrible Science.
He loves the Guniess Book of Records
He loves the Jiggy McCue series by Michael Lawrence
He loves the Asterix and Obelisk books (strictly speaking they are comics aren't they)

To be honest he has been devouring all the Horrible etc series for the past year but is now coming to the end of them.
He has expressed an interestt in teh Alex Rider series and the Young Bond series (or are they the same hmm)

hippipotamiHasLost55lbs Sun 16-Aug-09 10:38:23

Guiness gah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now