Talk

Advanced search

books for dealing with bad dreams/anxiety

(9 Posts)
mumtokatie Sun 02-Aug-09 20:53:22

Hi, your help would be greatly appreciated please. I have a very nearly 7 yr old daughter who up until 3 weeks ago was a bubbly outgoing girl.Then, our fire alarm went off for no reason at home and it has sent her into a seemingly deep depression. She says that she had a bad dream that night about burglars, and nothing we do can reassure her. We've tried everything and are at the end of our tether. She is withdrawn, scared, not eating, extremely jumpy etc. Its heartbreaking. I was wondering if anyone knew of a book that might help her (and us!). It's getting to the point where I'm considering the doctor as nothing we do seems to help her. its all very sad. I'd be really grateful for any help. Many thanks. x

legoprincess Sun 02-Aug-09 22:10:25

When my DS had some unsettling dreams last year his teacher suggested drawing a picture/writing it down and then putting it in the paper recycling box 'to get rid of it'. I was sceptical but it really helped. He wasn't as anxious as your daughter but he was scared to go to sleep in case he had the dream again.

Hope you find something that helps soon.

AramintaCane Tue 04-Aug-09 19:32:36

What to do when you worry too much is excellent.

lisad123 Tue 04-Aug-09 19:34:39

i like "huge bag of worries" and also "volcano in my tummy"
HTH

AramintaCane Tue 04-Aug-09 19:35:07

Nightlights by David Fontana is also lovely for bedtime. It has all sorts of relaxation techniques both are on Amazon smile hope that helps.

lisad123 Tue 04-Aug-09 19:36:41

i have that nightlight book too, its beutiful

PeggyGuggenheim Fri 07-Aug-09 12:22:22

We just read Silly Billy by Anthony Brown, it's lovely for just this situation.

PeggyGuggenheim Fri 07-Aug-09 12:24:27

Here is the link to Anthony Browne's Silly Billy

honda Mon 10-Aug-09 21:22:36

Hello, I'm a Mini IQ Associate and we offer Nightlights. It is great book each narrative in this remarkable collection draws the listener into an imaginary world and asks them to interact with the surroundings and the storyline. These gentle, illustrated meditations can help with relaxation, calming specific anxieties, fostering concentration and building self esteem.

The book is priced at £8.99

Mini IQ is an exciting range of Children’s Books, Toys and Games to buy at reasonable prices - that have been very carefully selected and are fun, educational and innovative for Children aged 0-12 years.

If you are interested in finding out more - please let me know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now