Talk

Advanced search

'Smartest Giant' question

(15 Posts)
misshardbroom Thu 30-Jul-09 10:01:26

So when you read 'The Smartest Giant in Town' to your DCs, what tune do you use to sing George's song ('my tie is a scarf for a cold giraffe' etc.)??

Or do you cop out and just say the words?

heartonsleeve Thu 30-Jul-09 10:04:13

We (my Sunday School teacher colleagues) and I acted this out for our Sunday School at their Christmas party. My DH was the giant.

We made up a tune, and wrote the music down for it.

I think if I was reading it as a story, I would make up a tune.

HuffwardlyRouge Thu 30-Jul-09 10:04:25

Boys and girls come out to play.

HuffySpice Thu 30-Jul-09 11:44:19

Bump. I want to read other people's answers.

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jul-09 11:47:27

i just made up a tune, which by some coincidence is not dissimilar to the julia donaldson one although mine has a better refrain.
the reason i know this is that i FOOLISHLY boutght a couple of cds of hers for car journeys and have been driven demented by her quavery old lady vocals and shite tunes ever since.

misshardbroom Thu 30-Jul-09 12:21:24

ROFL at H20.

Do you, perchance, mean the one that goes 'It's the Gruffaloooooo, Gruffaloooo, Gruffaloooooooooooo'??

HensMum Thu 30-Jul-09 12:23:47

I just say it, and DS joins in at the end with "TOWN!"

Am intrigued to know what tunes other people use though.

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jul-09 12:24:06

oh GOD we have two of them, it's absolute TORTURE, like an ancient auntie let loose on a bontempi TRILLING away in your ears. dd loves it.

notyummy Thu 30-Jul-09 12:36:36

I made up a tune - which would be fine, except each time I read it, I can't remember the exact tune I made up....so I just sort of 'jam' it. This meets with the disapproval of dd - 'no mummy, not like that. Sing the proper song!'

I CANT REMEMBER love - just be grateful I'm making the fecking effort!

misshardbroom Thu 30-Jul-09 12:41:17

when I sing it, it is like something out of Jeeves & Wooster. Imagine Stephen Fry reading it and singing the song, and you're about there.

Botbot Thu 30-Jul-09 13:09:01

This is my least favourite Julia Donaldson book, because 'Giraffe' and 'Scarf' don't rhyme in my accent. It sounds all wrong if I try to make them rhyme too.

MarthaFarquhar Thu 30-Jul-09 13:15:28

Misshardbroom - our version is rather noel cowrd/ivor novello too grin

'Tis a Farquhar original though, rather than using an old tune. Apparently Daddy can't sing it properly, so I always get lumbered with it.

misshardbroom Thu 30-Jul-09 15:17:30

a valid point, Botbot.

Come to think of it, isn't Julia Donaldson from Scotland? So surely in her accent, 'giraffe' doesn't rhyme with 'scarf' either.

Blu Thu 30-Jul-09 15:21:49

Oh, I HATED reading that book - I had to make up a tune, and the bloody rhyme doesn't scan properly - it's hard to read or sing.

misshardbroom Thu 30-Jul-09 15:28:12

correction, Donaldson-watchers, she's a Londoner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now