Talk

Advanced search

Year 1 books?

(5 Posts)
SingleMum01 Sun 26-Jul-09 20:54:30

Does anyone have the magic key books at school - floppy, chip, biff (stupid names!) etc. What average level should a child be on at the end of year 1. Just wondered. Thanks.

LIZS Sun 26-Jul-09 20:59:54

There is huge variation but a rough guide is on page 3 here ie between 3 and 5 for year 1. Most schoosl have a colour banding system across several schemes and "real" books of similar level of difficulty, age appropriateness and complexity.

nwmum Sun 26-Jul-09 21:17:32

hi
my dd just finished, yr1 got2a for reading. she has a reading list for the hols. which contains following;

George's marvellous medicine
I believe in unicorns
Lion, witch & the wardrobe
matilda
Happy mouseday
My naughty little sister series
family phatoms
little seahorse
George speaks
lion at school
Crazy mayoonaisy mum
akimbo & the elephants
Harry the poisonous centipede
Poetry paint box athologies

also she is currently reading the spiderwick chronicles - which she loves.

shigella92 Fri 31-Jul-09 14:54:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwoHot Sat 01-Aug-09 17:01:15

She will probably shoot ahead once she clicks with it, and once tht happens the books get more interesting and that will encourage her. Y2 will probably be the year she reallys 'gets it' so be ready! If you look in the library over this holiday they have a shelf for beginners and if you browse you will spot the ones at Stage 1/2/3 levels. I would have her read six of those over the holidays to help her out. We do a book at bed time and then a chapter that I read. I expect you do something similar. I can recommend The Faraway Tree and Rainbow Fairies to spark her imagination. That may give her a reason to learn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now