Talk

Advanced search

Book as christening present

(10 Posts)
bert74 Mon 06-Jul-09 20:56:29

We are going to a christening of a little girl aged 4 months, we wanted to buy her a book as gift, can anyone recommend a good one, maybe one that your child was given that you really remember over others?

deaconblue Mon 06-Jul-09 21:10:56

We always buy The Wind in the Willows really nice hard back copy for babies as the pictures are so lovely. Dd got a lovely copy of the collected works of Beatrix Potter for her first Christmas which I think is beautiful

slayerette Mon 06-Jul-09 21:30:59

A really lovely edition of Winnie the Pooh or Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan - any of the classics really. Waterstone's usually have a gift editions section with some classics to choose from.

pickupthismess Wed 08-Jul-09 21:27:35

My son was given a Peter Pan illustrated from the 1940s for his christening and it is gorgeous. He is now six and absolutely treasures it. So think about an early edition.

scotagm Fri 10-Jul-09 20:34:21

You can get a Roald Dahl hardback of poems. This is my staple christening present and also goes down well.

JackieNo Fri 10-Jul-09 20:40:49

The folio society does gorgeous editions of classic children's books.

ChippyMinton Fri 10-Jul-09 20:42:05

Usborne's childrens bible (as it's a christening!)
Personally I wouldn't want anything too 'precious' as, in this house at least, they are to be read and enjoyed rather than kept nice.

KERALA1 Fri 10-Jul-09 20:43:10

A good atlas. Useful and interesting for life, so the child can learn about the world.

ChippyMinton Fri 10-Jul-09 21:04:52

Atlas is an excellent suggestion.

Richard Scarry books are good as they work on several levels - picture books with lots of detail to absorb as the child gets older.

SolidGoldBrass Fri 10-Jul-09 21:07:10

I usually buy a good anthology of child-friendly poetry - I second Slayerette's recommendation of the Waterstones gift shelf as they have all sorts of lovely hardbacks that are not too expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now