Talk

Advanced search

3.5 year with learning delay,books please

(17 Posts)
wrinklytum Wed 01-Jul-09 23:57:13

Need alternatives to "Thats notmy..." the fab "Spot" books,Eric Carle and the Dear Zoo BOOKS.Have also extinguished the 2Childsplay" SIGNING BOOKS.jUST WANT A LITTLE VARIETY.hER ED PSYCH ASSESED MENTAL AGE IS 18 MONTHS THO i FEEL SHE IS PROGRESSED AND ABOUT A 2 YO LEVEL.tia.

thumbwitch Thu 02-Jul-09 00:01:08

Giraffes Can't Dance - lovely book, DS adores it.

Northernlurker Thu 02-Jul-09 00:06:16

Have you tried Hairy Maclary and other Lynsey Dodd books - they have a great rhythm to them and very endearing characters - then when you're out and about you can look for dogs like his mates - we saw Hercules Morse (big as a horse) the other day.

CMOTdibbler Fri 03-Jul-09 20:39:26

The Emily Gravett 'The Odd Egg' and 'Orange, Pear, Apple, Bear' books are gorgeous

The Gruffalo and Room on the Broom would be good too - the rhythm and rhymes are very satisfying.

Meg and Mog ?

scrappydappydoo Fri 03-Jul-09 20:47:58

We're going on a bear hunt - good for repetition plus you can do the actions
Would also recommend hairy Maclary...

wrinklytum Fri 03-Jul-09 20:54:02

Ooh forgot about this,posted in a bit of a post wine haze,as you can probably tell (Had had v.stressful day!)

Thanks for your replies.

Re Hairy Mclary,loved reading them to ds but I feel that it would be VERY one sided with dd,she would sign Dog about 20 times.!

We have bear hunt and she likes it if I sing it to her! Gruffalo a bit advanced for her really.Does anyone know a simple rhyming book with LOTS of different animals in it?She might like that.She loves Carles Busy Spider and Rod Campbellls Dear Zoo.

TotalChaos Fri 03-Jul-09 20:57:58

"Kick" and "Gallop" by Rufus Seder are nice. Also some of the Ladybird books are nice and simple and colourful:-

books.ladybird.co.uk/nf/Search/QuickSearchProc/1,,,00.html?strSearch=&searchProfile=UK-616097-global &advSearchStr=series%3A%22fastpbfast+Ladybird+Baby+and+Toddler+fastpbfast%22&homeNav=&adv=0&travel=& sortBy=relevance&curPage=2&textSearch=&retainableText=&path=

if she is into Cbeebies, then some of the character books - balamory/teletubbies/night garden etc might entice her into concentrating more on reading with her.

also books by benedicte guettier - in the sea etc (they have a hole in them to put your face in iyswim).

pants and more pants by Nick Sharratt are also great fun.

wrinklytum Fri 03-Jul-09 21:05:19

Oh many thanks TC,I am intrigued by the Benedicte Guettier books (What a fab name!).She would love anything that involves tactile stuff.

We just need a bit more variety.I do use the library but we have ehausted most of the "Baby" books.She also likes books with noises,we have a good one that moos,quacks and grunts,which was good when we were trying to get he to associate the correct noise with the correct animal.She is also now anticipating what is underneath the flaps on her Spot books,today she signed "Hen" before I had lifted a flap with the hen underneath,which is a BIG breakthrough!

lou031205 Fri 03-Jul-09 21:21:26

wrinkly, DD1 loves the gruffalo - not understanding really the story, but loves it if I read it in a sing-song tone, and can point to the fox, the owl, the snake and so on. Some books like that are able to be enjoyed on different levels, IMO.

Another series that DD loves, is the Apple Tree Farm series. They all have Mrs Boot the Farmer, and Poppy & Sam the children, and Rusty the dog. Then each book tells a story about an animal - Pig gets lost, The naughty sheep... They are very short, and each page has a little duck to find.

wrinklytum Fri 03-Jul-09 21:24:18

Thanks,Lou.

I will try singing the gruffalo!I usually sing the smartest giant in town to ds.singing does seem to capture her attentionThanks for suggestions.

smallchange Fri 03-Jul-09 21:30:20

Have you seen the Gruffalo song book?

It's basically sheet music, words and some pictures so not the best for reading aloud but once you've learnt the tune to the Gruffalo song it's very addictive! The book A Squash & A Squeeze was originally a song so the words & music to that are there and also some really good children's songs that aren't based on her picture books (one that ds loves is called Pull a Funny Face and has lots of actions.

It comes with a CD for those of us that don't read music.

smallchange Fri 03-Jul-09 21:31:37

I've just noticed that I've linked to the CD but you can get it as a book with the CD in the back.

wrinklytum Fri 03-Jul-09 21:33:54

Thanks smallchange!

I see a lot of singing to come in the Wrinkly household.LOL

busybeingmum Fri 03-Jul-09 22:11:03

Message withdrawn

thumbwitch Fri 03-Jul-09 22:37:03

following on from lou's post, DS has this one and he loves it to bits! All the touchy-feely stuff, plus lots of animals on each page - it's great.

TotalChaos Sat 04-Jul-09 08:47:57

Oh and there's a nice series by Ian Whybrow "Say hello to the animals", "Say hello to the snowy animals", "Say goodnight to the sleepy animals" that is rather nice and has quite nice furry textures to stroke.

There's quite a nice series of simple Charlie and Lola books on Shapes/Colour etc if she is a fan.

lou031205 Sat 04-Jul-09 12:43:32

We have "Say hello to the baby animals" - DD loves the furry bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now