Talk

Advanced search

17 month old ready to move up a stage with her reading - what books?

(155 Posts)
scottishmummyofone Wed 01-Jul-09 22:11:52

my dd is 17 months and has most of the reccommended books on here and seems ready to move up a stage, in that she is now bored of these books.

She currently has (and is bored of): all the 'that's not my...', wibbly pig books, maisy books, goodnight moon, peepo, hungry caterpillar, spot, ITNG books, baby einstein books.

I recently bought her 'the tiger who came to tea', the little princess series and 'the gruffalo' and she LOVES them.

So can anyone recommend similar books for her to read?

Thanks

littleducks Wed 01-Jul-09 22:14:12

Peace at Last by Jill Murphy
Hairy MaClary from Donaldsons Dairy

littleducks Wed 01-Jul-09 22:15:03

We are going on a bear hunt

Jajas Wed 01-Jul-09 22:15:31

17 months? blimey grin

slayerette Wed 01-Jul-09 22:16:05

Blue Kangaroo series by Emma Chichester Clarke.

Pumpkin Soup series by Helen Cooper.

Second Hairy McClary.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 01-Jul-09 22:17:03

<snort> at moving up a stage with her reading,bless you

Try lift the flap ones, ones with real photos of animals to point at, ones with everday objects to name

Apple tree farm books are great too

fucksticks Wed 01-Jul-09 22:17:06

pmsl
my 16 month old is still at the 'eating' stage with books
only just got onto tiger who comes to tea etc with 3yr old!

fucksticks Wed 01-Jul-09 22:17:45

judy blume?

littleducks Wed 01-Jul-09 22:21:15

well some kids are keener on books than others, dd wtas into books and could concentrate on a story and enjoy it

ds is 14 months but isnt able/willing to coincentrate fot peepo or the hungry caterpillar ye

QuintessentialShadow Wed 01-Jul-09 22:21:37

Seems like the perfect time for her to get to grips with Kant. Have you thought about teaching her German? No good reading Kant if she cant grasp the difference between Das Ding an sich and Ding Dang Dong.

MrsBadger Wed 01-Jul-09 22:22:19

snort

go to the library

TeenyTinyToria Wed 01-Jul-09 22:23:10

Join the library - you'll get loads of choice and variety so she won't get bored.

bigchris Wed 01-Jul-09 22:23:20

squash and a squeeze is fab, go to the library and let her rifle thru the picture books

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 01-Jul-09 22:23:30

There are a lot of that's not my books. I am impressed at someone having all of them.

ShowOfHands Wed 01-Jul-09 22:25:41

Just go to the library and have a root through.

Dalrymps Wed 01-Jul-09 22:29:02

Ds 20 months loves this book at the moment. It has lovely illustrations smile

scottishmummyofone Wed 01-Jul-09 22:30:43

please dont take the P. sad

The librarian says she is an excellent reader. We go to the library all the time. She's won a few awards at the library. I'm not bragging, I'm just surprised people have replied so sarcastically...hmm

And actually, as my grandmother is german, dd can understand some german and I hope she will start speaking some at some point in the future, not necessarily now though.

She has 'going on a bear hunt'. Forgot about that one. She likes that one.

We have lots of lift the flap books and animal type books. She can say all the noises but not the animal names yet.

Her vocabulary is good for her age.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 01-Jul-09 22:33:21

okey doke we did try to help but I'm outta here

scottishmummyofone Wed 01-Jul-09 22:33:52

meant to say thanks for all the recommendations so far. Our library doesn't have lots of books and all the good ones are always out!

yes we really do have all the 'that's not my...' books.

oh, we also have 'guess how much I love you' and 'love you forever'.

I started reading to DD from 6 months. DH and I are big readers and want DD to have a love of reading too.

hf128219 Wed 01-Jul-09 22:35:01

Won awards for what? Poetry recital?

SingingBear Wed 01-Jul-09 22:35:13

Message withdrawn

cookielove Wed 01-Jul-09 22:37:47

room on a broom, and other books in that range are great.

animal bob, and lets go round the mulberry bush.

dear zoo, oh there is a really sweet one about eddy and his teddy who's name is freddy, i can't remember the title, but so nice

littlelamb Wed 01-Jul-09 22:39:16

<arf>
I see your Judy Blume, and I raise you Virginia C Andrews

MrsBadger Wed 01-Jul-09 22:42:08

I would be bored with books if I had all the 'that's not my' ones hmm

go to charity shops
buy anything and everythign you see
variety is the most important thing

get her German books if you think it will strecth her

Red House and The Book People often have good bundles (we get 4pks of Julia Donaldsons)

sorry if we are being snidey but can you see how your OP looks to people other than you?

scottishmummyofone Wed 01-Jul-09 22:42:16

thank you, we have dear zoo. I will look at room on a broom, heard of that one before but haven't tried it yet.

Awards for her reading. We go to a reading book and the toddlers are asked to point or name things in the book or act it out. the librarians think she is a really good reader for her age and I'm just trying to explain that here.

I won awards for poetry though in primary school so maybe one day she will wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now