Talk

Advanced search

What age for Corneila Funke?

(9 Posts)
annasmami Tue 30-Jun-09 14:25:09

Following on from my earlier thread (looking for German book recommendations for my dd7), I wanted to ask what a suitable age for the various Cornelia Funke books would be.

I've just looked at her website and the age recommendations for some of her books are as follows. Is that about correct?

Ghosthunters 8yrs
Dragon Rider 10 yrs
The Thief Lord 10yrs
Inkspell, Inkheart, Indeath - no recommendation.

My dd is 7 and happily reads Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton type books in English. I'm looking for some German book ideas, and Cornelia Funke was recommended. As she wasn't around when I was growing up in Germany, I have no experience of her books. Any experience would be much appreciated (before I place an order with amazon.de)

Many Thanks!

cocolepew Tue 30-Jun-09 14:27:43

My DD is on the last book in the Inkheart trilogy, she's 11 yo. She was a bit hmm at the word bastard being used in them. But she is a pruitian by nature grin

troutpout Tue 30-Jun-09 14:41:37

Ds is 12 and reading the inheart trilogy atm

I wouldn't recommend them for a 7 year old

5Foot5 Tue 30-Jun-09 20:29:15

I agree that 7 is probably too young. DD read Thief Lord at about 10 or 11 after we had seen it at the cinema and has since moved on to the Inkheart books - but she is now 13.

neversaydie Wed 01-Jul-09 19:20:17

DS gave up on the Thief Lord about half way through, when he was just short of his 9th birthday. We mutually agreed to stop reading Inkheart about 6 months later - both found it far too alarming!

I freely admit that I am a complete wuss about scary stories, and DS seems to take after me!

avenginggerbil Wed 01-Jul-09 19:26:41

DS 9 has just read and loved Igraine the Brave.

annasmami Wed 01-Jul-09 20:54:59

Ok, so her more 'serious' books are definately too old for dd. Seems like the suggested age of 10 years is about right. Will have to wait a couple more years smile.

What about Ghosthunters? Suggested age is 8, anyone agree or disagree?

avenginggerbil Wed 01-Jul-09 21:12:52

Igraine would prob be ok for reading with/to a confident 7yr old: my DS is very timid about tension in books.

annasmami Thu 02-Jul-09 20:19:59

Thanks avengingerbil, not sure my dd is that confident yet....

Any thoughts on the 'Ghosthunters' series by Cornelia Funke? They are very highly recommended on amazon.de (for both boys and girls), and the recommended age is 8 years.

Have just found 'Ein Fest für Marie' by Cornelia Funke at our local library in Surrey - in German smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now