Talk

Advanced search

Any Jacqueline Wilson experts out there?

(11 Posts)
Cadelaide Tue 30-Jun-09 13:47:29

DD,8, has just finished "My Sister Jodie". She enjoyed it but found it a bit too sad, and I'd like to get her other JWs to try.

This one was about as challenging as we'd want to get in terms of reading ability, any ideas anyone?

Cadelaide Tue 30-Jun-09 13:47:55

What I mean is, similar level but not harder iyswim.

Fennel Tue 30-Jun-09 21:38:38

I don't know My sister Jodie but my 9 and 7yos read JW. Some of the books aged at younger readers, around 8 I'd guess, include Double Trouble, Glubbslyme, Lizzie Zipmouth, Video Rose, Cliffhanger, and the Werepuppy (that might be for younger children even). These don't deal with Teen Issues, more primary school age issues.

bradsmissus Tue 30-Jun-09 21:51:43

My DD is 10 and she really enjoyed My Secret Diary. It is a kind of memoir of her own teenage years. Not sure if it's suited to an 8 yr old. There's also one called Jacky Daydream. here

Cadelaide Thu 02-Jul-09 10:12:12

Thankyou smile

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 02-Jul-09 10:18:57

In addition to the titles Fennel mentioned you could also try The Lottie Project. Do not in any circumstances get the Girls in... books, DD2 (9) brought one of them home from school recently and thoroughly enjoyed the descriptions of teen drunkenness, snogging, going too far with boyfriends etc before I realised what she was reading.

Hopeoverexperience Thu 02-Jul-09 19:40:14

I would try Lizzie Zipmouth , The Cat Mummy (athough this is quite sad),The Mum Minder & Sleepovers - all are good and about the right age level. Hope she enjoys them.smile

cory Fri 03-Jul-09 14:47:17

The Cat Mummy is very sad- I'd avoid this one tbh if she's at all sensitive.

Cookie is sad at first but has a happy ending; girl and her mum make a new life for themselves away from bullying dad. Less upsetting than the Jodie book.

Cadelaide Wed 15-Jul-09 16:57:47

I've just got Lizzie Zipmouth and The Mum Minder and they're a bit short, not really challenging enough, any more anyone?

Cadelaide Wed 15-Jul-09 16:58:36

"Cookie" went down very well.

leisurely Thu 27-Aug-09 09:06:01

DD fell in love with JQ about a year ago. She is a peculiar child who, sometimes models her behaviour on what she is reading about. DH kindly bought her a JW book (The illustrated mum) which was miles too old for her. When I spoke to other mum's at the school, they all agreed that JW's books always have issues in them. Divorce, bereavement, abuse etc. We have avoided them ever since and asked the library not to issue them to her. Luckily for us, the local bookshop has a limited number of english language books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now