Talk

Advanced search

not really a book, but a children's magazine

(11 Posts)
misshardbroom Mon 29-Jun-09 14:23:22

My DD will be 6 on her (imminent) birthday.

She's never been the sort of child to play with toys that much, she loves role play games but also lots of sports, dancing, den-building. Otherwise she will spend ages writing and colouring and cutting things out. She quite enjoys reading and I think her enjoyment will grow as she can read more interesting things independently.

So anyway, back to this birthday...

I wondered if anyone could recommend a really good children's magazine that could be bought by a grandparent or aunt as a subscription for her birthday?

All the ones they have in Borders seem to be heavily linked to Disney Princesses / Barbie / Bratz [shudder], and the stories in them are truly dire. Surely there must be something good on the market?

(and please do tell me of anything good even if still a bit old for her at 6... she'll have more birthdays!!)

AramintaCane Mon 29-Jun-09 14:26:54

NG Kids is fab
Adventure box
Okido
Aquilla

lljkk Mon 29-Jun-09 14:34:33

DinoMite, too, is much more popular in this house than NG Kids (DD7, DS5, DS9). My problem with NG Kids is they heavily advertise other products and mags -- kind of in your face about it.

AramintaCane Mon 29-Jun-09 17:12:00

also puffin post

MilaMae Tue 30-Jun-09 12:38:56

Okido is an art and science magazine aimed at 3-7 year olds,it's lovely,great design and concept,nice site too.

Anorak is for 3-10s we haven't got that yet but looks really good for later,similar style.

Both are unisex and v stylish.

Takver Tue 30-Jun-09 12:56:17

RSPCA Animal Action was a hit with my animal loving 6 yo DD

JeffVadar Tue 30-Jun-09 14:24:07

DS really likes Aquila, but he didn't start getting it until he was 9. They have a website so you can have a preview.

misshardbroom Sat 04-Jul-09 20:23:04

These sound great, thank you all so much.

I'm very keen on the idea of an art & science magazine as I fear that despite my best efforts, DD is not developing into a natural feminist (e.g. on watching me lighting the barbeque: 'What are you doing, Mummy, you know you can't do that!')

Keen to encourage her to think beyond 'rock star' as a long term ambition grin

mrsruffallo Sat 04-Jul-09 20:29:16

Second NGKids and Okido here too

DebiNewberry Sat 04-Jul-09 20:32:27

Okido very good. Beano? my dd love loves loves the Beano.

fircone Mon 06-Jul-09 19:10:15

My dd (nearly 6) loves the Beano. My ds has kept all of his and since she learnt to read properly she has been ploughing through them. She particularly likes the limericks!

I grieve for the lack of decent comics available to children. I had Twinkle when I was little, and I bought a few off e-bay for dd. Most magazines for children today are a complete waste of money, full of posters or pages urging the reader to buy products from the same stable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now