Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a book of stories for a first birthday present?

(5 Posts)
CherryChoc Fri 19-Jun-09 23:16:26

We are looking for a nice present for DP's goddaughter for her first birthday, and thought it would be nice to get her a book with lots of stories which will last until she is much older. I'm not so bothered that the stories are age-appropriate now or easy to read as obviously she can't read yet. Just something with nice illustrations which she may enjoy being read to now and perhaps reading herself when she is older.

Any suggestions? We were just going to go into Waterstones and have a look but a starting point would be really helpful.

RosieMBanks Sat 20-Jun-09 09:42:32

The Puffin Baby and Toddler Treasury is a nice one - here is the link

bruffin Mon 22-Jun-09 13:12:16

Hutchison Treasury of Children's Literature

This will take her from toddler to probably teens.

The stories are all classics ie I want my Potty by Tony Ross to exerpts from Ballet Shoes and poems by Roald Dahl etc. Most of them have the original illustrations.

LupusinaLlamasuit Mon 22-Jun-09 13:24:24

A Shirley Hughes compendium has lasted a loooong time in our house. And they are great for toddlers through to little kids because they can identify with the little world of the characters...

MomDePlume Mon 22-Jun-09 13:26:45

If it were me I'd go for a beautifully illustrated collection of classic fairy tales, probably either Hans Christian Andersen or Grimm. Try here for example. Any Waterstones or wherever should have some nice copies of this sort of stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now