Talk

Advanced search

What's your favourite children's books that you have read (or reread) lately?

(44 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 15-Jun-09 21:44:22

For your own reading pleasure, not that of your DCs.
I read We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea (one of the Swallows and Amazons series) this weekend and it was so wonderful it made me seriously question why I bother with adult fiction at all.

K999 Mon 15-Jun-09 21:46:32

The Tiger who came to Tea - tis my most favourite book ever!!

PrettyCandles Mon 15-Jun-09 21:50:52

I enjoy Swallows and Amazons far more now than I ever did as a child.

I recently reread the Kingscote School books by Antonia Forest - don't know whether there was a series title, but it's about a pair of identical twins, their sisters and friends, at a school called...Kingscote. So much meatier and more interesting than E Blyton's.

sunburntats Mon 15-Jun-09 21:52:51

I kinda read ds books with him....for me really,
love LOVE LOVE gruffalo, snail and the wale,
Bedtime bear, one ted,
Fucking HATE Topsy and tim fucking books.....i dont want to know about their itchy heads AGAIN thankyou...

Olihan Mon 15-Jun-09 21:53:16

My all time favourite ever book is The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye. It's just a lovely lovely book.

janeite Mon 15-Jun-09 21:53:38

I still haven't read any Swallows And Amazons books. I really, really need to.

My favourites are:
Charlotte Sometimes
Ballet Shoes
What Katy Did
Tom's Midnight Garden
Daddy Long Legs

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 15-Jun-09 21:54:15

Pretty Candles, I so agree, about Antonia Forest. We have Autumn Term and End of Term. DD1 and I both love them, but the rest seem to be impossible to get hold of as they command fabulous prices secondhand.

K999 - Tiger who came to Tea is one of my top books too. I love the pictures so much.

janeite Mon 15-Jun-09 22:01:21

My favourite picture books (over which I sometimes yearn for another baby!) are:
The Baby Who Wouldn't Go To Bed
Owl Babies
Anything by Mick Inkpen but especially The Blue Balloon and Nothing
So Much
Peace At Last

piprabbit Mon 15-Jun-09 22:02:43

I've just bought Silver Snaffles for my DD - but really it's for me to reread. I'd half forgotten about it but it's lovely. I'm also looking forward to re-reading Tom's Midnight Garden. I also read and reread the Little House on the Prairies books blush - in fact I've bought other writings by Laura Ingalls Wilder and her daughter Rose as I find the stories so fasvinating...

SisterMV Mon 15-Jun-09 22:04:03

Just re-read 'Susan Pulls the Strings' by Jane Shaw... pure comfort reading but fairly well written.

Think my favourite Swallows and Amazons has to be the one where they solve a mystery on the Norfolk Broads - 'Coot Club'?

RosieMBanks Mon 15-Jun-09 22:24:05

I love 'The Ordinary Princess' too - other favourites are 'The Little White Horse' by Elizabeth Goudge, 'The Wolves of Willoughby Chase' by Joan Aiken, and 'Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf' by Catherine Storr. I picked up 'Clever Polly' recently and was laughing out loud - I've managed to get hold of the full set of Polly and the Wolf stories second-hand, and can't wait to share them with DD.

LadyG Mon 15-Jun-09 22:24:51

Diana Wynne Jones. Also Elizabeth Enright 'The Saturdays'. Oh and recently bought the "Uncle' books in the NY review of books reprint hardback... all for the Dcs of course who are 3 and 1...

LadyG Mon 15-Jun-09 22:27:08

Oh and I recently bought the 'my naughty little sister' collected stories in hardback- I remember loving these as a child luckily DS is loving them too....

cookielove Mon 15-Jun-09 22:27:57

my two favourite children story books i remember from my own childhood, are 'the paper bag princess' and 'where the wild things are'

aristocat Mon 15-Jun-09 22:32:16

room on the broom

Olihan Mon 15-Jun-09 22:36:01

Oh yes, Clever Polly. I loved those as a child. I read it to my class of Y3's a few years back in a fit of nostalgia. It's quite timeless, isn't it.

Tiger who came to tea is so dated now, isn't it? My dcs love it but the retro clothes and old fashioned tone make me smile.

KatyMac Mon 15-Jun-09 22:38:57

I love all the Arthur Ransome books (Swallows & Amazons, Swallowdale, coot club, the big six, Winter holiday, Pigeon post, Missee Lee, Peter Duck, We didn't mean to go to sea, Secret Water, Great Northerner?, Picts & Martyrs.....that's all I think?)

The chroicles of narnia

The little White Horse

I read lots (I read DD's library books)

MilaMae Tue 16-Jun-09 11:33:48

Tom's Midnight Garden

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Borrowers

The Little Princess

The Secret Garden

Re-read them all when throwing up pg with my dtwins as could only cope with big print and easy text. Were all a joy to re-read brought back many happy memories smile

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 16-Jun-09 11:36:18

Antonia Forest is great smile

Girls Gone By have republished almost all of them - there are several non-school ones as well - although many of them are out of print now

MrsBartlet Tue 16-Jun-09 15:37:38

Good Night Mister Tom

JeffVadar Wed 17-Jun-09 15:07:56

I didn't like 'Swallows and Amazons' at all as a child (much to my dad's disappointment) but really enjoyed reading them with DS.

I like the E Nesbits and, I also regularly re-read 'Treasure Island'.

Of recent books I loved Michelle Paver's Wolf Brother books, and the Lemony Snickets.

usernametaken Wed 17-Jun-09 21:34:15

DD read 'My dad's a birdman' by David Almond..it was lovely!

'The Tiger Who Came To Tea' is an all time favourite...seeing it on stage recently was just excellent!

My all time favourite book is 'Goodnight Mr Tom' by Michelle Magorian- I lost count of how many times I read it as a child.

pointydog Wed 17-Jun-09 21:37:25

I recently read Voices in the Park again by ANthony Browne which is absolutely wonderful. As is a lot of Browne's stuff.

janeite Wed 17-Jun-09 21:39:00

Anthony Browne is a genius methinks!

MuppetsMuggle Wed 17-Jun-09 21:40:39

Narnia books

The Magic Porridge Pot

Ballet Shoes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now