Talk

Advanced search

The Magic Faraway Tree for 3 & 4yrs old DDs?

(23 Posts)
Pennies Sun 14-Jun-09 20:12:48

Do you think they'll get it if I read it to them? I'm wondering if the lack of pictures will be a problem?

mrsdisorganised Sun 14-Jun-09 20:44:23

My mum read this to us, I think I was more like 5 or 6. Read it myself at about 8years, try it and see, really good for their imagination.

Yurtgirl Sun 14-Jun-09 20:46:33

I read this to my ds when he was 6
I also read alice and wonderland and Charlottes web to him when he was 6
DD was 4, she enjoyed listening etc but didnt really get it in the way that he did

Id wait till they were 5 and 6

pocketmonster Wed 17-Jun-09 22:03:30

I've recently read this to DD's - DD1 was about 4.8 and DD2 3.6 - DD1 absolutely loved it but DD2 found it hard to follow without any pictures.

Waswondering Wed 17-Jun-09 22:05:49

On the second of these to ds (who is 6 in Sept) and he is enthralled and always disappointed when a chapter ends.

Don't think dd (3) would get it yet.

It's magical though - we love it!

isittooearlyforgin Wed 17-Jun-09 22:05:58

have read to my dd who loved it though have to confess changed some names ( Fanny to Fiona and Dick to David) why not just call a character Vagina and be done with it!

Portofino Wed 17-Jun-09 22:06:03

I read it to my 4 year old. It is a bit dated and even dare i say "sexist/racist" in some places so you have to change some words or do explaining from time to time. I loved it as a child, and dd seems to too.

Waswondering Thu 18-Jun-09 22:22:50

Fanny is now Franny in more recently published books, and Dick is now Rick.

Portofino Fri 19-Jun-09 08:02:44

LOL at Rick and Franny! grin It's just not "right" some how....

isittooearlyforgin Fri 19-Jun-09 21:50:09

like it! would certainly have helped me when reading to child with addled brain and kept mixing up my dick with my dave and my fanny with my fionas!!

OtterInaSkoda Tue 28-Jul-09 11:45:10

I'm reading it for about the billionth time to ds, at his request, who is now 8. Must have first read it when he was about 3. His first real jokes were based on Saucepan (ie me: "Time for bed", ds:"Go to the shed?"..cue hysterical giggles). That was when he was teeny tiny.
We have the updated version with Dame Snap, Franny, Rick et al. The Magic Wishing Chair is good, but not as good.

claireybee Tue 28-Jul-09 11:47:56

I've got it for dd (3) Started reading it to her and she enjoyed it but all the "why did they climb the tree? why are there people living in the tree, why did they do that" etc etc got a bit annoying so I am now just reading it to myself grin

GooseyLoosey Tue 28-Jul-09 11:49:42

I read it to my dcs at the same age. Lack of pictures no problem. Not sure that they always followed the story, but as its short self contained chapters this didn't really matter - they were always engaged while I read it to them.

TheChilliMooseisinthehoose Tue 28-Jul-09 11:49:57

I used to love the Faraway tree! I read it myself, though, so I was probably a bit older.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 28-Jul-09 11:51:58

Now I want to read the Faraway Tree again! I used to love the stories about the slippery slip and all the lands at the top of the tree (esp. the Land of Goodies!).

I was about 7 or 8 when I read them myself, I am sure your little ones will love it as well.

OtterInaSkoda Tue 28-Jul-09 11:54:02

Enid Blyton seemed to make her chapters just the right length for bedtime stories (read to or self-read) which I think is just ace.

anniemac Tue 28-Jul-09 11:58:13

Message withdrawn

anniemac Tue 28-Jul-09 11:58:46

Message withdrawn

anniemac Tue 28-Jul-09 12:02:03

Message withdrawn

anniemac Tue 28-Jul-09 12:02:22

Message withdrawn

ZephirineDrouhin Tue 28-Jul-09 12:38:33

Have read first few chapters to dd at 3 and a half - she quite liked it to begin with but it got too scary so we've put it away again. I'll probably try again in a year or so. I think they really are quite scary compared to modern children's books. The kids get into amazingly bad situations before they find their way back to Moonface's house for google buns and pop biscuits grin

anniemac Tue 28-Jul-09 12:44:39

Message withdrawn

TwoHot Sun 02-Aug-09 20:33:47

DD is 5 and loves it! Our version has Beth, Frannie and Rick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now