Talk

Advanced search

Any Angela Brazil fans about?

(12 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 09-Jun-09 19:50:46

I've just bought six of her books on Ebay for £1.75 the lot! I'm going to give them to DD1 for her birthday next month - they may make up for the fact that she can't have the last couple of Wells books as they go for insane prices.

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Jun-09 15:05:21

I like Angela Brazil, although got rid of my collection as I didn't have room.

Have you tried Girls Gone By books for the Wells books ? They reprint them, and I completed my collection through them as was not prepared to pay the extreme prices

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 10-Jun-09 16:52:04

I managed to get Swan Feather and Dress Rehearsal which are also destined for DD's birthday, but I can't seem to find Principal Role, Backstage, Vicki in Venice or The Secret anywhere affordable.
It is great having a DD who is into all these old books - it means an excuse for me to buy them and read them too.
She now wants more Antonia Forests - she has Autumn Term and End of Term, but again they are hard to find - GGB have got some but a lot have never been reprinted.

5Foot5 Wed 10-Jun-09 19:46:27

I got a couple of lovely Angela Brazils from a second hand shop a couple of months ago. I paid about £10 each for them though! But they were hardbacks. There seem to be lots of hers on Amazon when I looked.

DD hasn't got in to Angela Brazil but she loves the Antonia Forest "Autumn Term"

Incidentally if you are interested in Girls School Stories you might be interested in trying to find a copy of this book "The Encyclopaedia of Girls' School Stories" by Sue Sims and Hilary Clare

ISBN 0-7546-0082-3

seeker Wed 10-Jun-09 19:48:32

I'm more of a Chaletian myself!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 10-Jun-09 20:00:57

I love the Chalet School, Seeker, and have loads (38 at last count) but DD doesn't like them. She likes Angela Brazil, Lorna Hill, Antonia Forest, Anne Digby (Trebizon) and Enid bloody Blyton. I have failed to interest her in the Abbey Girls either.
5Foot5 I will check that one out.

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Jun-09 20:02:13

And there will be another Girls School Story conference this year - I understand that it was so successful last year that it will be two days. I really enjoyed it

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 10-Jun-09 20:04:38

Aargh, 5Ft5, I just had a look for it - the cheapest copy on Amazon is £65.
CMOT - those GGB Wells books are like gold dust - Vicki in Venice is going on Amazon for £30. What's this about a conference? Likeminded school story fans? Do you swop books?

seeker Wed 10-Jun-09 20:15:24

My dd doesn't like the Chalet School either - but she loves Antonia Forest. She is always accusing me of naming ds after Patrick!

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Jun-09 20:23:06

EEK - 30 quid ! And it's one that I have in original hardback too (tries not to think about it)

Are you not a member of Friends of the Chalet school ? There is a society for all the big authors, although I only belong to Folly which covers all childrens literature

The conference was all fans of school stories in general (the clubs have their own meetings, like the Abbey weekend where they dance, sew etc at Cleeve abbey), and there were some more learned talks, some light hearted, and some time for buying books

I can't find the details for this year yet, but Sue Simms was an organiser last year

5Foot5 Fri 12-Jun-09 20:57:39

LadyG: Cripes! I paid half that for my copy and that was Amazon. Mind you it was at least 5 years ago....

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 15-Jun-09 21:41:02

Hooray - just got Principal Role on Ebay for £3.99!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now