Talk

Advanced search

Books for a 1 year old?

(30 Posts)
bitofadramaqueen Mon 08-Jun-09 22:43:12

Can anyone suggest some books that are perfect for a one year old?

My 11 month old DS has started showing a real interest in his books - he loves turning the pages, anything touchy-feely, lift flaps etc.

His birthday is coming up so I'd like to get some new ones for him - can anyone recommend any firm favourites?

CandleQueen Mon 08-Jun-09 22:46:14

The "That's not my ..." range are great. Usbourne Books I think.
DS loves That's not my Tractor and That's not my dinosaur.

Miamla Mon 08-Jun-09 22:46:59

DS has got lots of the "that's not my..." books and he seems to enjoy them. we've also got one about penguins as well, its in his bedroom so i'll check in the morning for you

Miamla Mon 08-Jun-09 22:47:52

superb x post there! my DS likes his 'that's not my fairy' best!

BananaFruitBat Mon 08-Jun-09 22:48:40

Another vote for "That's not my...". DS loved them. (DH did different voices for the different textures!)

wrinklytum Mon 08-Jun-09 22:49:17

Hungry caterpillar
Maisy books
Dear Zoo.

DebInAustria Mon 08-Jun-09 22:50:27

BDQ - that's not my... are Ethan's faves too, looking forward to reading your replies

thumbwitch Mon 08-Jun-09 22:52:31

My DS likes the That's not my Penguin - it's great. Good range of different touchy feely bits as well.

The very hungry caterpillar went down well - literally! it has various chewed corners...

For his 1st birthday I got him an Old MacDonald's Farm book with a push-button wheel that played the tune (M&S) that he loves; and we have a Find the Animal Farm book with lifting flaps etc. as well, also a great favourite.

Now DS is 18mo and we are onto Giraffes can't Dance, 10 happy little fish and Find the... books.

CandleQueen Mon 08-Jun-09 22:53:47

DS2 is 11 months and currently reading "Peek-a-boo Puppies".
Next week I'm starting him on "War and Peace"

Meglet Mon 08-Jun-09 22:54:01

we like...

-shoe baby
-the gruffalo
-peepo
-stomp chomp big roars, here come the dinosaurs

they're not touchy feely books, but have lasted since ds was 1 and are still going strong. they all rhyme too which seems to keep their interest. should all be on amazon still.

cookielove Mon 08-Jun-09 23:01:57

oooh i was gonna suggest 'thats not my series' room on the broom and the animal bop, animal boogie, are for a little older children but the rhyming is nice for children
as is the gruffalo and the gruffalo's child. hHug is very sweet for little ones,

seeker Mon 08-Jun-09 23:16:27

And also go to charity shops and bulk buy - let them wade through an enormous pile as see what catches their fancy.

DebInAustria Tue 09-Jun-09 06:37:21

I used to buy books from my local library, I don't know of they still do this ?

bitofadramaqueen Tue 09-Jun-09 07:00:51

Thanks everyone. Got a few suggestions there. He has got a few 'that's not my...' books already. I think the bunny is his favourite...

'war and peace' candlequeen? Can you get a board book version? grin

bitofadramaqueen Tue 09-Jun-09 07:02:24

Oh not sure about library deb. I really should make the effort to take him to the library though as he'd really enjoy it.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 09-Jun-09 07:21:18

Peepo and EachPeachPearPlum by Allan Ahlberg
Gruffalo/Gruffalo's child
Cleo the Cat
Maisy

DebInAustria Tue 09-Jun-09 07:25:43

I really miss the library in the UK, we do have one here in the village which is good but it's selection of children's books are so drab and uninspiring.

MrsMichaelSchofield Tue 09-Jun-09 07:41:51

Spot the Dog books
Dear Zoo
Usborne Farm Books - Hide & Seek and Noisy Animals
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
Hungry caterpillar

HolidaysQueen Tue 09-Jun-09 07:49:31

Oh it's so much fun - my DS, now 14mo, got into books at about the same time and we love it!
- Each Peach Pear Plum - so much to look at and spot on the pages.
- Very Hungry Caterpillar
- My Mum, and My Dad, both by Alex Browne are his favourites. I like them because mum and dad look very normal and a bit exhausted
- Anything with photos of babies
- Book by Dorling Kindersley called something like My First Words. Each page is a different category of photos (farm, clothes, food, park etc). Great for talking about what we've done or seen during the day, and by far DS's favourite book to look at himself as he can look at things he recognises.

We've found with DS that he really enjoys familarity with books, so it can initially seem he doesn't like new ones and rejects them quite quickly. We've found if we persevere over a few days with reading a few pages in the midst of all his other books that he soon starts to realise it's fun and that book then become parts of the repertoire.

Oh, there is so much fun ahead of you! <sentimentality alert> There is nothing nicer about being a parent IMO, than having my warm bundle of loveliness cuddled on my lap, kissing his head and making him smile and laugh with a story

pureeandpearls Tue 09-Jun-09 08:24:44

I second everyone-

thats not my books
each peach pear plum
gruffalo
dear zoo (excellent- cj is brilliant and opening the secret doors)
baby einstein shapes (also good at turning the doors)
My Mum is Fantastic/Dad is Brilliant

Sorry for lack of caps- CJ is helping but has just wandered off to look at other things.

TBH if they are into books, then anything will work- she turns the pages on Private Eye, junk mail, novels etc, and her favourite game is taking all the books down from her shelves and sitting turning pages.

I also recommend Guess How Much I Love You and Room on the Broom for Mamma!

nannynick Tue 09-Jun-09 08:27:12

Goldilocks and the Three Bears - Ladybird edition. 17 month old I care for loves this.

nannynick Tue 09-Jun-09 08:31:20

Pepper Pig and the Balloon - board book with moveable parts.

Don't be precious over books at this stage... 1 year olds do tend to be a little rough with them and will tear, rip, eat books. Just make sure it is only THEIR books they destroy, not yours. When they are older and have more understanding, then you can teach them to handle books with care... but for now, you just want your DS to enjoy books.

RosieMBanks Tue 09-Jun-09 10:32:58

Lots of great suggestions already - DD adored 'Dear Zoo', 'Peepo!', 'Each Peach Pear Plum' and 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' - we had to buy new copies of all of them as they were so chewed and battered! Another favourite was 'The Elephant and the Bad Baby' by Elfrida Vipont - great fun! Oh, and she really loved that Ladybird 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears' too. BTW - have you looked at the Mumsnet reviews of children's books? - really useful.

RosieMBanks Tue 09-Jun-09 10:42:45

I bought a giant board book of The Very Hungry Caterpillar via Amazon when DD was one - here's the the link. Not cheap, but it has been a really good buy over the past few years - DD loved the toy caterpillar, and looking at the book, and it has been great for reading to her and her friends. The VHC featured in lots of pre-school activities later on...counting, healthy eating, days of the week etc...

bitofadramaqueen Tue 09-Jun-09 21:14:49

Thanks everyone. DS has some of the books mentioned, but I've got a long list of potential new ones for him to flick through and eat!
rosiembanks I haven't looked at those reviews, but I will now, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now