Talk

Advanced search

The Little Prince (is it even a children's book?)

(17 Posts)
Overmydeadbody Mon 08-Jun-09 21:30:51

I am reading this to DS at the moment, a few chapters at a time.

I swear it all goes over his head (it certainly goes over mine).

I think DS just likes the rythmn of my voice when I'm reading. It was the same with Peter Pan <sigh>

Does anyone know what it's actually about?

janeite Mon 08-Jun-09 21:31:55

Oh it's gorgeous! But I think it works far better for adolescents and adults than with children.

Overmydeadbody Mon 08-Jun-09 21:36:44

But what the f*ck is he on about?

pooter Mon 08-Jun-09 21:39:38

oh god, you HAVE to let me know - ive 'read' it in the French (hahaha) and i haven't got the foggiest about it. Its meant to be a classic, but to echo the OP "what the f*ck???"

KatyMac Mon 08-Jun-09 21:40:04

I never got

But I loved reading it

My brother (who hates reading - I love reading) raves about it; it is his book

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 08-Jun-09 21:48:00

It has to do with finding someone and being responsible for them. It's a bit of a heavy concept for a young child. I have the illustrated version which is lovely

Overmydeadbody Mon 08-Jun-09 22:21:05

Glad I'm not the only one who failed to 'get' it grin

I have the illustrated version too.

janeite Tue 09-Jun-09 17:33:35

I have never 'studied' it but believe it to be about never allowing yourself to stop viewing the world with childlike wonder. It reminds me a lot of this poem which is one of my favourites.

I think it is about remaining open-minded and imaginative and not allowing oneself to become rigid in thought and to conform too much. I guess that we should keep wondering and searching and not think we have all the answers.

Sorry if that is too simplistic.

littlelamb Tue 09-Jun-09 17:34:54

Definately not a childrens book imo, but I adore it

midnightexpress Tue 09-Jun-09 17:36:42

What Janeite said.

L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux.

Or something.

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 09-Jun-09 17:43:59

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly - what is essential is invisible to the eye

JeffVadar Tue 09-Jun-09 18:55:27

I didn't read it until I was an adult, but I did read it with DS when he was 10 and he loved it - although I don't know if he got the under meaning.

I think it is also about having and keeping faith perhaps in god, but also in whatever other beliefs you have.

5Foot5 Wed 10-Jun-09 19:52:03

Funnily enough I was talking to DD about this book less than an hour ago! Someone just bought it for her for a confirmation present - she is 13. I was asking her what it was about and she seemed to think it was to do with not worrying about the little things.

Not read it myself.

janeite Thu 11-Jun-09 17:37:33

5foot5 - if you would like a lovely evening, make yourself a cup of tea, grab a packet of biscuits and READ THIS BOOK!

BonsoirAnna Thu 11-Jun-09 17:40:03

No, it's not really a children's book.

On another French (or rather Belgian) topic - there is a new DVD version of the Tintin books out right now, they are fabulous - three stories per DVD, there are 7 or 8 DVDs in total in the new series. DD is hooked. Each DVD is multilingual.

cory Mon 15-Jun-09 08:47:38

definitely an adolescent's book imo

as an adult, I am far too shallow grin

PrettyCandles Mon 15-Jun-09 08:51:20

I read it in English as a young child, in French as a teenager, and again (and again, and again) as an adult. I've loved it each time, and each time I've found something new in it.

You can enjoy it for the rhythm of the language, the illustrations, the strangeness, the superficial story...or you can look for deeper meaning. I think it's one of those rare books from which you take whatever you want - there's no 'right way' to understand or interpret it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now