Talk

Advanced search

Murderous Maths?

(12 Posts)
CrouchingTigger Wed 03-Jun-09 20:40:14

Hi
My dd has read her way through the Horrible Science/Geographies books, and is now eyeing up Murderous Maths. Are they suitable for a bright Yr 3 child, or would it be best to wait a while? I have very little mathmateical knowledge or ability so don't trust myself to be able to judge. I don't want them to put her off, but she tends to be happy reading anything and everything...
Thanks in advance

snorkle Wed 03-Jun-09 21:41:33

Some are suitable and some aren't I'd say. The first couple are quite straightforward - try them & see how she gets on. Avoid the trigonometry one for a while.

CrouchingTigger Thu 04-Jun-09 10:59:00

Thanks Snorkle - not sure which are the first one though? I have seen ones about probability shapes, fractions and one about a sausage?! smile

snorkle Thu 04-Jun-09 11:52:27

Well, they're not numbered, so I may be making assumptions, but I always assumed
'muderous maths' was the first
and 'more murderous maths' the second!

'The Phantom X' - algebra
and 'The fiendish angletron' - trig
are probably the hardest and best avoided at least until after the others. Ds came back to the trig one a year or two after having read, but not really followed it first time around.

'the perfect sausage' is also quite hard (it covers circle theorems areas & volumes & stuff and touches on trig too I think, but in a 'push these buttons on your calculator' kind of way, rather than actually explaining it).

'vicious circles & other savage shapes' would be easier than the sausage one lots on triangles & stuff in it.

If she's good at and interested in maths & enjoys the first two then:

'The essential arithmetics'
'Do you feel lucky'
'Numbers the key to the Universe'
and 'The Mean & Vulgar bits'

would probably be the next ones in difficulty(ish) after the first two. (I'm guessing a bit though).

There are some puzzle books too.

Ds was another would read anything & everything type child & started getting these out of the library & reading them in about year 3 (but he's also very good at and very interested in maths). In about year 5 I saw the whole set on discount somewhere (probably the book people) & as I'd noticed him seeking them out at the library repeatedly I bought the lot. Not sure really if his abilities in maths stem from his obsession with these books or vice-versa - it may well be a bit of both (he was good at maths since before he started on the books, but now he's very good at it iyswim).

Bink Thu 04-Jun-09 22:31:54

The thing that series does brilliantly is bring out the shapes and feelings that underlie numeracy - so it's not just about how addition works, or different kinds of measurement, but it's about sequential patterns and essential formulae and logical leaps. Card tricks and probability short-cuts and so on.

My ds is pretty innately mathematical, but his ability to lateral-think, and see exactly what trick a puzzle is getting at, and spot connections between things, is definitely down to the guru that is Kjartan Poskitt.

(I am going to boast. His class (yr5) just did a maths puzzle test to see who'd be in a four-child team for a competition. The team members who got 2nd, 3rd & 4th place in the team got 40% and both 30% respectively; ds was top - and got 85%. But the point is, that isn't just ds, that's Murderous Maths.)

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 04-Jun-09 22:33:18

Ds read all of these in year 1, he's in year 5 now and still reads them he loves them so much.

smartiejake Thu 04-Jun-09 22:38:32

There is a website called "Murderous Maths" which my DD aged 10 (bit of a boffin) has really been enjoying. Lots of puzzles and maths type games.
Have a look here

CrouchingTigger Fri 05-Jun-09 11:44:18

Thanks very much ladies, very helpful posts smile.
Off to search for the best deal smile

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 05-Jun-09 15:03:30

Waterstones are doing a 3 for 2 on these at the moment I think.

CrouchingTigger Fri 05-Jun-09 22:35:58

Thanks FBGB. Have also found 10 for £10 at Red House - some orginal books and some puzzle books - looks good smile

spacepancakes Sun 11-Oct-09 21:48:37

Any advice on what to buy ds after she has finished these in the maths line?

notanidea Sun 11-Oct-09 23:33:55

DD finished reading these in Year 3 and really enjoyed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now